Learn DirectX needs Advices from Pro

From: Kepler (Kepler_at_discussions.microsoft.com)
Date: 10/26/04

Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 01:29:04 -0700

Hi,
      am 25 years old and I want to learn DirectX .... I want to know if I
go and learn C++ and some win32 and DirectX, will I fall behind (the current
philosophy of all managed like C# or I will be obselete in 2-3 years ) ? or
if I learn managed ... would I ever be able to get a job in the industry or
work on a commercial game ? (I took a course on Dx9 at www.gameinstitute.com
and it's all in C++ ) but I am more interested in managed compared to c++
.... it's just seem to be it's safer for a carreer ....

so from a career standpoint which is better/wiser now ?

(I already learned some c++ in the past and now I am already doing some C#)

What I should do ?

Thanks a lot

Relevant Pages

  • Learn DirectX needs Advices from Pro
    ... go and learn C++ and some win32 and DirectX, will I fall behind (the current ... philosophy of all managed like C# or I will be obselete in 2-3 years)? ...
  • Re: Project direction required
    ... > I am an experienced programmer and I am familiar with Win32 etc. ... > need for an application that will control audio file playback. ... Is there a basic tutorial for DirectX? ... > If there is a better API then please point me in that direction. ...
    (microsoft.public.win32.programmer.directx.audio)
  • Re: What Borland should stop wasting their time on
    ... > If you use DirectX from Delphi it's also a pas file that is a "wrapper"... ... By my testings any simple mathematic calculation in .NET will slower than corresponding in Win32 in 25-45 times. ... I have no much expirience with games in last 10-15 years, but all games I can see in last 5 years was written in Win32. ... As a result design suffered, but to provide backward compatibility, Microsoft could not simply redesign the whole library and deprecate the old one. ...
    (borland.public.delphi.non-technical)
  • Re: Why arent you upgrading?
    ... missing a bit of eye candy but it does work without a DirectX ... Yes but "WPF graphical kind of things" is not WPF. ... Well of course Vista doesn't consume XAML to do it's WPF like graphical ... going to Win32 yourself if the Win32 already exists. ...
    (borland.public.delphi.non-technical)
  • Re: Advise needed
    ... using Win32 and sw processing paths. ... > Hi fellows! ... > so my question is if is it advisable to code the graphics routines using ... > directX primitives to achieve better performance. ...