Microsoft.DirectX.dll not installed with Directx 9.0c and .NET Framework 1.1?

From: Alex Gray (grayaii_at_netscape.net)
Date: 10/26/04

Date: 25 Oct 2004 18:34:58 -0700

I've read various posts on this subject, but the solution eludes me.
I developed an application using the Microsoft.DirectX.dll, and it
works fine on my development machine, but when i put it on other
machines, it doesn't work.
I get the usual:
Unhandled Exception: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: File or assembly
name Microsoft.DirectX, or one of its dependencies, was not found.
File name: "Microsoft.DirectX"
   at MyApp.Main()

=== Pre-bind state information ===
LOG: DisplayName = Microsoft.DirectX, Version=1.0.2902.0,
Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35 (Fully-specified)
LOG: Appbase = C:\temp\Debug\
LOG: Initial PrivatePath = NULL
Calling assembly : MyApp, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral,
PublicKeyToken=null.
===
LOG: Publisher policy file is not found.
LOG: Host configuration file not found.
LOG: Using machine configuration file from
C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\config\machine.config.
LOG: Post-policy reference: Microsoft.DirectX, Version=1.0.2902.0,
Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35
LOG: Attempting download of new URL
file:///C:/temp/Debug/Microsoft.DirectX.DLL.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL
file:///C:/temp/Debug/Microsoft.DirectX/Microsoft.DirectX.DLL.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL
file:///C:/temp/Debug/Microsoft.DirectX.EXE.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL
file:///C:/temp/Debug/Microsoft.DirectX/Microsoft.DirectX.EXE.

I tried it on various WinXP machines, all producing the same error.
Fine, i read the posting and you have install on the customer's
machine FIRST .NET Framework 1.1 followed by "DirectX 9.0c End-User
Runtime". Nothing worked. I tried it myself to no avail. I tried it
on 6 different machines (one machine was a suped up gaming machine
that has the latest and greatest games like DOOM3 and Unreal2004), all
having .NET Framework 1.1 AND DirectX 9.0c.
What gives? What are all these machines missing? I tried the mananged
tutorial exe's that come with the SDK and none of them work on any of
the machines BUT my machine. Please don't tell me i have to install
the Software Development Kit on all of my customer's machines!

-alex-