making a generic high level 3DAPI on top of mdx

From: Robert Ludewig (schwertfischtrombose_at_gmx.de)
Date: 10/25/04

Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 01:28:09 +0200

Hello,

I recently started to develop my own little high level, easy to use 3D API
on top of managed directx for .net. The idea behind it is having a generic
API that lets me create (simpler) 3D-applications in the shortest possible
time in .net.

It involves implementing things like a node structure for the scenegraph, a
console, device configuration manager etc. Just like we know it from other
APIs, like java3d or openinventor or from gameengines.

Also it might be useful to have further functionality like
FileLoader/FileExporter for various 3d (industry standard) fileformats,
collision detection, distributed rendering etc.

I do understand that Managed Directx is pretty high level already as well as
that such an API would come with a performance loss.

But at work I see that people still use the java3d api and prefer that over
jogl. (Which makes me assume, that they don't care as much about performance
as they do about development time.)

And as far as I can see there is no equivalent for .net in sight yet.

Would you think there would be a public "need" for such an API that would
justify to put the development on a larger scale ?

Relevant Pages

  • Re: making a generic high level 3DAPI on top of mdx
    ... > I recently started to develop my own little high level, easy to use 3D API ... > I do understand that Managed Directx is pretty high level already as well ... > But at work I see that people still use the java3d api and prefer that ... > performance as they do about development time.) ...
  • making a high level 3DAPI on top of Managed DirectX ?
    ... I recently started to develop my own little high level, easy to use 3D API ... I do understand that Managed Directx is pretty high level already as well as ... as they do about development time.) ...
  • Re: Cutting a mesh
    ... > could not find a corresponding method in the MDX API. ... >> There are 6 appliction defined clipping planes. ... >> News and Resources for Managed DirectX ...
  • Re: making a high level 3DAPI on top of Managed DirectX ?
    ... when trying to code graphics primitives for high quality results, ... > I recently started to develop my own little high level, easy to use 3D API ... > I do understand that Managed Directx is pretty high level already as well ... > performance as they do about development time.) ...
  • Re: NGs
    ... development time is spoiled at the API stuff. ... make every call to a hardware interrupt, draw every pixel by writing to ... For example, replacing ...
    (alt.lang.asm)