Re: installation of dx9 managed doesn't work...

From: Fabian Schmied (REMOVETHISfabianDOTschmied_at_fhs-hagenbergDOTacDOTat)
Date: 10/06/04

    Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 20:01:02 +0200

    > Well it may detect it, but does it do anything about it? No. Because I've
    > ran dxsetup.exe /InstallManagedDX before on a box with 9.0c installed
    > already, but w/o MDX installed, and the setup blows right by w/o
    > installing
    > MDX, as if it say "Oh, this guy already has 9.0c, what a joker, let's
    > just
    > end the install". Get me?

    Unfortunately, I can't test it right here, but if you are right, this is
    absolutely a bug in the DX 9.0c setup (the redist setup from Summer 2003
    Update definitely works correctly). If you are absolutely sure that
      - you used the right version of the installer (that is, the one that is
    in the redist folder of the SDK),
      - you used the right command line switch,
      - .NET was installed before you tried to install MDX,
      - MDX wasn't partially installed before (e.g. the registry key there but
    the assemblies not), and
      - the assemblies were not in the GAC afterwards,
    and if you are maybe even able to reproduce it (and get the appropriate
    logfile entries), I would definitely report it as a bug with MS (attach
    the log if possible).

    Sorry if I seem somehow disbelieving, but when MDX was introduced, many
    people claimed the DX setup didn't work correctly, mostly because they
    didn't understand the (weird) setup procedure. (That is: Don't use 9.0b
    downloaded from MS, use the one from the redist folder, install .NET
    before it, use the command-line switch.) So I just want to be sure.

    Fabian