Re: How much slower?

From: Jarred Nicholls (jarred.nicholls_at_voicemetrix.com)
Date: 10/01/04

    Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 14:22:02 -0400

    Indeed.

    "Kevin Spencer" <kspencer@takempis.com> wrote in message
    news:O%2338vl9pEHA.2864@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    > In fact, Managed DirectX, like unManaged DirectX, makes greater use of the
    > graphics card than of system resources. So, the real bottleneck in your
    > app
    > is far more likely to be the graphics card, rather than the app.
    >
    > --
    > HTH,
    > Kevin Spencer
    > .Net Developer
    > Microsoft MVP
    > I get paid good money to
    > solve puzzles for a living
    >
    > "Jarred Nicholls" <jarred.nicholls@voicemetrix.com> wrote in message
    >> No, it's fine for games. It's slower by a hair because there is infact an
    >> extra layer of function calling, but on today's machines, you won't
    >> notice
    >> it. Trust me. There have been plenty of games written in C# and MDX
    >> and/or
    >> OpenGL and they run great.
    >>
    >> I'll put it to you this way...the little extra overhead you get from
    >> using
    >> MDX as opposed to Unmanaged DX is more than worth it for the loads amount
    > of
    >> time you save writing your game in the .NET Framework w/ MDX.
    >>
    >> -Jarred
    >>
    >> "Michel Racicot" <michel.racicot_NO_SPAM_@cgi.com> wrote in message
    >> > I'm sure this question have been asked perhaps a thousand of time...
    >> >
    >> > How much slower will run an application programmed in Managed DirectX
    > with
    >> > C# compared to the same application using C++/Unmanaged?
    >> >
    >> > Is it too slow to do something great? Is it too slow for games?

    • Re: How much slower?
      ... In fact, Managed DirectX, like unManaged DirectX, makes greater use of the ... is far more likely to be the graphics card, rather than the app. ... > No, it's fine for games. ...
    • creating a device object
      ... I have a problem with creating a managed directx device object. ... I've tried compiling/building examples from Tom Miller's book Managed ... I'm thinking that it could be my graphics card or an evironment ...