Re: Redistribution of Managed DirectX

From: Jarred Nicholls (jarred.nicholls_at_voicemetrix.com)
Date: 10/01/04

    Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 20:22:56 -0400

    Thanks guys. I figured out the problem. Nothing to do with the assemblies
    not being found :-) I won't embarass myself.

    But I am curious, is there a way to check for DirectX 9.0c and Managed
    DirectX being installed in a setup project with VS.NET? And if not, install
    one or the other?

    Also, I experienced something stupid and weird today, but it kind of makes
    sense. If the user doesn't have DirectX 9.0c, doing a dxsetup.exe
    /InstallManagedDX will indeed install 9.0c and the managed library. However,
    if they already have 9.0c and do *not* have MDX, then doing a dxsetup.exe
    /InstallManagedDX does nothing (and yes, the box has .net 1.1 installed).
    It's as if the dxsetup.exe is only checking for 9.0c being installed and not
    MDX even if you enabled the switch. So it in effect just cancels the install
    and doesn't install anything if it detects at least 9.0c already installed.
    How stupid is that? That requires the person to manually extract from the
    ManagedX.cab file the mdxredist.msi file and install from there. I don't
    like that at all. Any solutions to that, other than the manual labor?

    -Jarred