Re: Redistribution of Managed DirectX

From: Chris Hastings (chrshstngs_at_comcast.net)
Date: 09/30/04

Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 09:45:24 -0500

Sine we're talking managed code and .net assemblies, there is no COM type
registration.
You can either copy them to your run directory (as you said) or put the in
the GAC. The GAC is used for common assemblies and .NET will look there
first for an assembly. You can get stuff in the GAC using regasm.exe or by
simply copying the dll's into the windows\assemblies directory (it's hidden
by default, I think)

If you create an install using VS.NET, it will copy those dlls into your run
directory for you...
I hope that helps!
Chris

"Jarred Nicholls" <jarred.nicholls@voicemetrix.com> wrote in message
>I have a friend whom has DirectX 9.0c end-user runtime, and I had him
>install the mdxredist.msi, and even after doing so, he was getting an
>exception saying that the Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3DX.dll, etc., could not
>be found. Any idea why this is happening? I had him download the full 34mb
>redistributable from microsoft (the one that contains 9.0c runtime and
>managed extensions) and still no go. He could see the Microsoft.DirectX.*
>dll files in the file list under dxdiag, so they are there, but somehow
>they aren't registered or something. What the hell is wrong?
>
> I'm going to have him next copy/paste the .dll files and put them right in
> the root folder of my application to see if that helps any.
>
> -Jarred

Relevant Pages

  • RE: Anyone else seeing this kind of debugger hang?
    ... > exceptions are thrown but the rest stop if not handled. ... > My project is set to debug managed code only. ... > All assemblies are strongly signed. ... stop VS.NET the restart it. ...
    (microsoft.public.vsnet.debugging)
  • Re: Protecting .NET assemblies (runtime)
    ... you can try to do your best - like checking the SN of the caller - but it all boils down to: if you hand out your code a skilled person can do to it whatever he wants... ... Developing More Secure Microsoft ASP.NET 2.0 Applications ... assemblies are distributed to end user systems (they are not installed ... aspect as developers/end users reusing my .NET assemblies in their own ...
  • Global Assembly Cache
    ... I took over a legacy e-commerce project that utilized.NET 1.1 to create the website code and all associated assemblies. ... Right now they have a separate directory for each store, complete with a \bin folder that contains about 20 DLL files. ... Can I simply drop these DLL files in the GAC and then delete the corresponding DLL files in the \bin folder for each site? ...
  • RE: Vista Applications: Authenticode vs Signing Assembly with StrongNa
    ... which let runtime correctly identify different .net assemblies. ... Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead ... where an initial response from the community or a Microsoft Support ...
    (microsoft.public.vsnet.general)
  • Re: Mshsnapin (part 1): usage of mshsnapin commands.
    ... In order for us to provide a robust system the user has to be involved in ... >>those assemblies, ... > I understand the issues that managed code presents with respect loading, ... > Thomas Lee ...