Geometry Instancing

From: animed (anonymous_at_discussions.microsoft.com)
Date: 05/27/04

Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 07:06:02 -0700

In my application I render the same geometry multiple times with different materials / color modes / matrices.

For instance I might draw a triangle with a red material, rotate it 5 degrees and draw it again with a different material and different matrix.

The application is getting seriously bogged down though since I am doing a large number of DrawIndexedPrimitive calls, ~1800 per frame at the least.

What techniques are available to me currently to try and do hardware based instancing of my geometry to reduce the number of calls to DrawIndexedPrimitive. I know that DX 9.0c supposedly has native support for instancing geometry, but I really need a solution that will work with 9.0b.

many thanks

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Need good performance tips
    ... Sort Triangles by materials then by distance? ... It is true that drawing front to back is preferable ... the fastest way to draw something is ...
  • Geometry Instancing
    ... In my application I render the same geometry multiple times with different materials / color modes / matrices. ... For instance I might draw a triangle with a red material, rotate it 5 degrees and draw it again with a different material and different matrix. ... Are there any techniques/tricks that allow something similar to hardware based instancing using DX9.0b? ...
  • BSP rendering: Material considerations
    ... I am in the process of creating a BSP rendering engine. ... Each polygon is a triangle, and may have any material assigned. ... When rendering, should I change materials on a per-polygon basis, or should ...