Re: Stability problem after upgrading from DX 9.0 to 9.0b runtime

From: lucvdv (name_at_null.net)
Date: 05/25/04

Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 19:02:47 +0200

Fabian Schmied wrote:

> The freeze seems quite hard, so a quick question: are you sure it is the
> new runtime and not the hardware (heat or something)? I.e. did you test
> your app on exactly the same computer with the DX 9.0 and 9.0b runtimes?
> And can you reproduce the problem on another 9.0b system?

The freeze didn't occur with other software, some of which was
CPU-intensive enough to rule out temperature.

It *did* occur on two complete new setups of windows, DX9.0b etc, both
on the same physical hardware except for another model of harddisk.

Yesterday I finally installed everything a third time: same version of
windows, same hardware drivers, same service packs, but with then DX9.0
runtime instead of DX9.0b. When I left today the system was still
running, about 30 hours without freezing.

So far I haven't tried on another system yet: this is a test setup, I
only have one piece of this model of mainboard (that board is what was
actually being tested when the problem arose).

I'm going to wait for a few more days, and test on a few other systems
if I can, before really blaming it on 9.0b.

> Do you have the watchdog process running? That's the thing that always
> asks to send error reports to Microsoft. If you have, you might find
> something in its logfile (%SystemRoot%\logfiles\watchdog folder).

The tests were running on Win2000...

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Win2000 connection problems with Server 2003
    ... It just a test setup with 1 Windows ... and the XP machine has access to the shares on the 2000 box. ... I have used the 2000 box as a file server for years but since joing it ...
  • Re: Possible new feature for next Photoshop
    ... Eric Stevens ... Windows 7 search is an abomination. ... libraries, but as it stands it's just substituting a heierarchical ... does relate to the physical hardware, to no real purpose that I can see ...
    (rec.photo.digital)