Re: Managed DX and CPU 100%

From: nusgrups (anonymous_at_discussions.microsoft.com)
Date: 05/07/04

Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 10:21:03 -0700

Thanks guys, sounds logical and I should've thought about it myself ... nothing better than making sure though :)

     ----- Sam wrote: -----

     In a windowed app based on the samples, the main loop will run as fast as
     the PC will let it wihle the window is active, taking 100%. When you select
     another window the app sleeps to let other apps use some cpu.

     "Fabian Schmied" <REMOVETHISfabianDOTschmied@fhs-hagenbergDOTacDOTat> wrote
     in message news:uSXLY5DNEHA.3472@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> nusgrups schrieb:
>> With a very basic MDX app (loading only 1 mesh with some textures /
>> lights), the CPU is constantly 100%, is that normal behaviour? I've
>> never really looked at the CPU when playing PC games, but I tried
>> Warcraft III yesterday and it was constantly in the 100% during the
>> game too. I also tested the billboard MDX sample that comes with the
>> SDK and on 2 diff. machines CPU was 100%. I tried both the C# and C++
>> apps, same thing.
>> FrameRate ~110FPS P4 2Ghz 512Mb RAM 64Mb VRAM CPU 100%
>> FrameRate ~220FPS
>> games in general?
>> Games usually run in a (more or less) endless loop without sleeping, so
> yes, this is normal behavior.
>> Fabian

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Steve Carroll does not know the difference between saving and quitting.
    ... or in an app where it can be used for additional work it ... Most apps cannot be used with no window open... ... yet it does not quit. ... And nor should it Snit! ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: Steve Carroll does not know the difference between saving and quitting.
    ... or in an app where it can be used for additional work it ... Most apps cannot be used with no window open... ... yet it does not quit. ... And nor should it Snit! ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: Execute On Focus
    ... >The app has only one window, but it needs to consume as little resources as ... The CPU usage is pretty irrelevant in this case ... App gets focus) ...
  • Re: display array in a frame wnd
    ... An SDI app, where the image is displayed in the view. ... There would never be a need to create a frame window; ... I better prefered to reuse display provided with the librairy opencv, ...
    (microsoft.public.vc.mfc)
  • Re: display array in a frame wnd
    ... you have to create an app that is suitable for displaying an image. ... There would never be a need to create a frame window; it is not at all clear why such code ... I have to display results. ... Why is this not in an OnPaint handler? ...
    (microsoft.public.vc.mfc)