Re: How do I make a brush paint tool in Direct3D (Or DirectDraw)

From: Fabian Schmied (REMOVETHISfabianDOTschmied_at_fhs-hagenbergDOTacDOTat)
Date: 05/01/04

    Date: Sat, 01 May 2004 16:21:25 +0200

    Teis Draiby schrieb:
    > Sorry for my late reply. I really appreciate your answer and I now proceed
    > with GDI+ and hope it gets faster by the time.

    It certainly will, but even now you can make it fast using the right
    techniques (only draw what is necessary, for example).

    > I got the impression that the drawing capabilities of DirectDraw could as
    > well be achieved by using the Direct3D's 2D functionality and the only
    > advantage of using DirectDraw is to support low-end hardware. Is that true?

    That is probably true. When talking unmanaged code, however, I would
    argue that if DirectDraw suits your requirements, why not just use it?
    It might be a little easier to understand if you are doing 2D, and there
    are lots of samples, websites, etc.

    Speaking of managed DirectX, the DD docs are much worse than the managed
    D3D ones, and there are a few bad bugs in managed DirectDraw, so I'd
    really prefer managed Direct3D over DirectDraw.

    Fabian