Win32 app suspends on minimize window animation.

I'm writing a multi-threaded streaming audio application (using DSound) in
C++ (MSVC) on Windows XP SP2.

The problem I've encountered is that, upon minimizing / restoring any
application on the task bar, all threads in my application are suspended
while the window animation is active. This affects me because it causes the
audio in my application to stutter every time a window is minimized or
restored. I am streaming real time voice.

Unchecking the check box titled "Animate windows when minimizing an
maximizing" in the windows / system properties / advanced / performance
"visual effects, processor scheduling, ..." / Settings / Custom tab seems to
resolve this issue.

Adjusting the priority of my process to "High" and "Realtime" does not help.

Can anyone help shed some light on this topic?

  • Re: Refresh the Desktop
    ... the only way to refresh the Desktop is to do something as dramatic as ... minimizing and restoring all windows on the Desktop, ...
    (microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript)
  • Win32 app suspends on minimize window animation.
    ... I'm writing a multi-threaded streaming audio application in ... C++ on Windows XP SP2. ... The problem I've encountered is that, upon minimizing / restoring any ...
    (microsoft.public.win32.programmer.directx.audio)
  • Re: Log out immediately after Log In
    ... >>>I have a windows XP box that is being recovered with Backup Exec 9.1 ... >>> restoring the system completly, ... How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install ...
  • Re: Halo Crashes after Installing Autoroute 2004
    ... Instead of restoring a previous registry, ... using Windows Me's System Restore feature. ... Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;;gms ...
    (microsoft.public.games)
  • Re: Log out immediately after Log In
    ... >I have a windows XP box that is being recovered with Backup Exec 9.1 ... > restoring the system completly, ... trouble via a *networked machine*, ...