Re: Direct Show in Vista

On Fri, 18 May 2007 16:49:55 -0400, Matthew Ireland wrote:

My point is:

WHY DOES THE ACTIVEX WORK AND THE DIRECTSHOW NOT WORK!!!!!!!

They should both support the same codecs on the same OS. There have never
been anything other than the default filters. The problem is that
Quartz.DLL does not support the same stuff as the WMP.DLL. I would think
that a codec that workded for WMP ActiveX would work for DirectShow.
Microsoft has broken the functional compatibility somewhere in developing
Vista. It is this slap-dash approach to support of existing features that
make dealing with new releases of Windows OS such a pain.

Going to Media Foundiation is not an option because our software has to
support non-Vista installations.

We ended up converting our software to use the WMP ActiveX control. This
was a month-long effort that should not have been necessary.

There have been other complains of the WMA Voice 9 DirectShow compatible
DMO being missing from Vista. I don't know why this is the case yet, it
doesn't make much sense. Obviously Media Foundation has a decoder MFT as
it is being used by WMP.

--
http://www.chrisnet.net/code.htm
[MS MVP for DirectShow / MediaFoundation]

  • Re: Direct Show in Vista
    ... WHY DOES THE ACTIVEX WORK AND THE DIRECTSHOW NOT WORK!!!!!!! ... They should both support the same codecs on the same OS. ... Quartz.DLL does not support the same stuff as the WMP.DLL. ...
    (microsoft.public.win32.programmer.directx.audio)
  • Re: why is "how to play a sound with Javascript" such a rare topic?
    ... uses a CLSID to trigger the Windows Media Player ActiveX control. ... There really is no need for that, unless you want to support IE 4. ... The ActiveX argument is void because you can't have plugins without ActiveX ... Prototype.js was written by people who don't know javascript for people ...
    (comp.lang.javascript)
  • RE: Getting an handle on an out-of-process ActiveX
    ... Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead ... where an initial response from the community or a Microsoft Support ... Getting an handle on an out-of-process ActiveX ... The problem is that I use this ActiveX component inside a Web Service and ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.framework)
  • RE: PLS HELP! Drag and Drop a file to a web form
    ... Yahoo.Photo is using ActiveX. ... Tools/Manage Add-ons, ... Microsoft Online Community Support ... where an initial response from the community or a Microsoft Support ...
  • Re: Importing spreadsheet fails
    ... In a SharePoint site this might well be pointing at ActiveX not being ... the window is the error "Object doesn't support this property or method". ... WSS must be at fault. ...