Re: streaming mp3 playback

Chris P. [MVP] wrote:
On 11 Sep 2006 11:16:31 -0700, insomnia137@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

We've been using directshow in our client app for streaming mp3's up
till now, but ever since we converted to vc8 (and the corresponding
platform and directx sdk upgrades) we've been having problems with
certain users who have onboard soundcards. specifically some of them
get no audio playback, even though setting up a test app shows playback
working. Because of this we've been wondering what other options
besides directshow were there for streaming mp3's.

DirectShow just wraps the core interfaces of DirectSound and waveOut,
there's no magic there. I guess you would need to figure out where things
are going wrong.

If you want to avoid DirectShow you can decode MP3 with the ACM, or the
Microsoft installed DMO or with a 3rd party lib such as LAME. Audio output
choices would be DirectSound or waveOut.

--
http://www.chrisnet.net/code.htm
http://www.avdevforum.com/AV

I guess the first thing i need to do is figure out whether the problem
lies on the directshow streaming/decoding the mp3 side, or with the
actual playback. I'll look into that, thanks.

  • Re: streaming mp3 playback
    ... get no audio playback, even though setting up a test app shows playback ... DirectShow just wraps the core interfaces of DirectSound and waveOut, ... HRESULT hResult = CoInitialize; ... // Now query the graph builder for the particular controls we ...
    (microsoft.public.win32.programmer.directx.audio)
  • Re: Is DirectX and DirectShow the Same Thing?
    ... DirectShow falls under the "DirectX" brand but has not been part of the ... DirectShow is primarily for video/audio playback, capture, and editing. ... is being slowly phased out in favor of the Windows Media Foundation APIs ... XAudio2 is a new game-centric audio processing API releasing in the March ...
    (microsoft.public.win32.programmer.directx.audio)
  • Re: How to make Encoder read HDV?
    ... There is probably a few options out there, I'd try ffdshow x64. ... [MS MVP for DirectShow / MediaFoundation] ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsmedia.encoder)
  • Re: Lipsync problem with video and audio
    ... The reason why I think DirectSound is at fault is because WaveOut hasn't (so ... The foreign clock I use to handle clock drift ... is it indeed the DirectShow filter? ...
  • Re: WM Audio output format??
    ... > speakers), you could use DirectShow if you like, but it ... > control code. ... > data using the waveOut or DirectSound API (look for ...
    (microsoft.public.win32.programmer.mmedia)