Re: Monitoring Level While Capturing

On Mon, 3 Jul 2006 15:34:01 -0700, James wrote:

Thanks for the response. When you refer to a number of capture buffers, do
you mean copy the small buffer that's actually doing the capture to a series
of private buffers that total at least two seconds of capture time before
writing to disk?

No, I'm referring to the actual capture buffers. As Windows can get busy
with things from time to time you need several capture buffers in queue for
the driver to write to in the event that your app can't respond for a
while. This doesn't affect latency as under normal circumstances you as
still receiving the buffers as soon as they are completed, but if things
get backlogged you will get a number of buffers quickly delivered when
things get caught up. In mission critical recording I use up to 10 seconds
worth of capture buffers (around 100 buffers).

And yes, it pays to buffer before writing to disk as well if you have the
disk writing in a separate thread. This technique is sometimes called
double-buffering.

--
http://www.chrisnet.net/code.htm
http://www.avdevforum.com/AV

  • Re: Hardware buffers in capture filters
    ... >> We want to use hardware buffers in Capture Filter which captures ...
  • Re: DirectSound Garbled sound scenarios
    ... I create both capture and play buffers which are ... I am using different events for capture vs. play but I am only ... > and capture buffers which DS is trying to capture to or play from. ... potential underrun, overrun conditions. ...
    (microsoft.public.win32.programmer.directx.audio)
  • Re: Detecting audio capture delay
    ... Can you check how many sample buffers are being used? ... Do you mean on the capture pin? ... know when it happens so I can automatically stop and restart the graph. ...
    (microsoft.public.win32.programmer.directx.audio)
  • Re: DirectSound capture buffer under-runs on system load
    ... DirectSound. ... I have gotten capture and playback working well, ... and output buffers if that does not work. ...
    (microsoft.public.win32.programmer.directx.audio)
  • Re: Larrabee delayed: anyone know whats happening?
    ... Do you mean that there are modern systems that *can't* easily get 90% of theoretical disk bandwidth without using massive buffers simply by using multi-buffering in system RAM? ... stage is not written to enable streaming, ...
    (comp.arch)