Re: Playing Audio CD

On Sun, 9 Apr 2006 22:16:37 -0600, The March Hare [MVP] wrote:

On Sun, 9 Apr 2006 21:08:03 -0700, cnickl wrote:

Simple question: Can DirectShow play Audio CDʼs? if so what are the
interfaces or methods I have to use? I donʼt need any code. However, a short
description would be much appreciated.

A search for 'CD' on the dshow docs shows:

<<Audio Capture Filter

You can capture from the CD-Audio input, but this audio stream has already
gone through the digital-to-analog converter, so there will be a loss of
sound quality from the original CD.>>

There is no loss if the CD-ROM is set for digital audio extraction which is
the standard setting these days. However you can't get true track
extraction as if you were reading the tracks yourself. There was a
tutorial on DA extraction posted on a Microsoft blog, I posted links here
or on microsoft.public.win32.programmer.mmedia, I forget. If you search
you should find it.

AFAIK, there are no interfaces for controlling CD playback in the dshow
SDK.

Correct. The easiest control interface is MCI. It would be tough to
coordinate with DirectShow recording however.
--
http://www.chrisnet.net/code.htm
http://www.avdevforum.com/AV