Re: Playing Audio CD

On Sun, 9 Apr 2006 22:16:37 -0600, The March Hare [MVP] wrote:

On Sun, 9 Apr 2006 21:08:03 -0700, cnickl wrote:

Simple question: Can DirectShow play Audio CDʼs? if so what are the
interfaces or methods I have to use? I donʼt need any code. However, a short
description would be much appreciated.

A search for 'CD' on the dshow docs shows:

<<Audio Capture Filter

You can capture from the CD-Audio input, but this audio stream has already
gone through the digital-to-analog converter, so there will be a loss of
sound quality from the original CD.>>

There is no loss if the CD-ROM is set for digital audio extraction which is
the standard setting these days. However you can't get true track
extraction as if you were reading the tracks yourself. There was a
tutorial on DA extraction posted on a Microsoft blog, I posted links here
or on microsoft.public.win32.programmer.mmedia, I forget. If you search
you should find it.

AFAIK, there are no interfaces for controlling CD playback in the dshow
SDK.

Correct. The easiest control interface is MCI. It would be tough to
coordinate with DirectShow recording however.
--
http://www.chrisnet.net/code.htm
http://www.avdevforum.com/AV

  • CD audio vs. WAV/AIFF - problem extractiong audio - Long post
    ... says he doen't get the original masters, but audio CD's. ... The master he was sent is what he wants and sounds good to him but, ... Then I imported the AIFF files into the timeline and lined them up with the ... extraction files to A/B them. ...
    (rec.audio.pro)
  • Re: Audio-over-ethernet and digital clocking
    ... how things are clocked when you send audio over ethernet in real time? ... in my composers' world of using slave computers to play back samples. ... Most computer interfaces have external clock options. ...
    (rec.audio.pro)
  • Re: assign USB Audio to interface 1 and 2
    ... there is special code in the generic parent that knows about audio ... > the support of multifunction devices with several interfaces per function ... > a quite recent addition to the USB specification. ... This may be an invalid bInterfaceProtocol ...
  • Re: cd test, always error
    ... If you try this on an audio CD, ... as CDDA extraction is not guaranteed to return ... When comparing the extracted WAV file vs. the original WAV ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: blu-ray audio questions
    ... DTS Master Audio 7.1ch track on a Blu-ray disc. ... extracted from the lossless DTS Master Audio track versus the single Dolby ... I have listened to the various audio tracks both through extraction and with WMP-Home Cinema on a decent set of headphones. ...
    (rec.audio.pro)