Sending note messages to a performance

Hi all,

I am trying to send midi note messages to a DirectMusic performance, without
any luck.

I have successfully inumerated the ports on the machine, and even set up the
IDirectMusicThrough8 interface between an input port attached to a midi
controller and a midi synthesizer which works successfully. However, when I
try to send a note on message to the performance, I hear nothing. The send
message function returns success; so I don't know what the problem could be.
I have checked and double checked the members of the DMUS_NOTE_PMSG
structure, and can't find a combination that produces a sound from the
synth.

My only guess at the problem is that I am not sending the messages from
within a track. Is it necessary to send note on messages from within an
IDirectMusicTrack8 object to get the performance to output notes to the
synth?

Any advice or guidance would be welcome.

Thanks.

.