Re: new to audio programming

thanks for the reply.

i was hoping to use c# to get this going, so i hope i can get it to work in
direct sound. i was wondering; do i have to actually capture the sound that
is coming from the input on the sound card, or will the sound from the input
already be present in the output buffer? is there a way i could just attach
the dsound effects to the sound that is coming thru the input on the sound
card without actually recording it? im confused.

i guess what i need is a good tutorial explaining how sound is processed in
windows and thru directx.

thanks

"Chris P. [MVP]" wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 14:20:06 -0700, jtharkey wrote:
>
> > im new to audio programming and need a few questions answered. let me start
> > out by saying what i am trying to accomplish.
>
> I would forget about DMusic, it has its uses but is useless for live sound.
>
> Your choices are DSound or DShow.
>
> DSound lets you use effects on your output buffers. The effects go
> directly to the audio output, so you can't capture your processing except
> by capturing the general "Stereo Mix" which will include sound from
> anything else that is running at the time. You cannot record the stereo
> mix if you are already recording from another input such as a mic or line
> in. There also seems to be a limit of 1 instance of each type of filter,
> or at least I haven't figure out how to get more than one of each.
>
> DShow lets you do all of the above, but you can have more than one instance
> of a filter, and you can direct the output to a file or DirectSound output
> or both. You can even prototype what it's going to sound like without
> writing any code by using the GraphEdit utility. DirectShow will have a
> little more live latency unless you use the "WDM Streaming Capture Devices"
> as the source. General latency can be control by controlling buffer sizes
> at the application level. If you aren't writing your own filters, DShow is
> easy enough to program, but there's a bit of a learning curve if your not
> familiar with COM. Punching effects in or out during a recording can be a
> little tricky unless the filter has a disable option. See attached picture
> for a GraphEdit sample

  • Re: Insert/overwrite mode when record audio
    ... Editing is much more complex than simply recording. ... As the Wav Dest filter can only simply append to the end of the file, ... DirectShow filter) and a sound compressor. ...
    (microsoft.public.win32.programmer.directx.audio)
  • Re: Question - MIDI to WAV File Conversion [Long]
    ... video, so I'm posting here first, before I launch out to some of the sound ... length to use in video segments. ... recording source called "Record what you hear". ... which will capture anything that plays on your PC. ...
    (rec.video.desktop)
  • Re: no audio in WMM
    ... Good idea to give all that details about your settings. ... your capture settings need some configuring. ... expand to see Choosing a video & audio capture device. ... I have checked my sound recorder and it works just ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.moviemaker)
  • Re: WinDVD does not capture the audio from my camcorder. Help?
    ... the sound is not captured when I ... > in the audio pulldown menu that allow for USB audio capture.... ... which Sony HandyCam do you have? ... composite cable - so both need to be connected when I capture - choosng ...
    (rec.video.dvd.tech)
  • Re: Recording Corvettes
    ... To capture good exterior sound, the car will have to be in a very open area - no where near reflective walls. ... custom exhaust systems for Corvetttes. ... One of the main issues is that appearantly there is a resonance build ...
    (rec.arts.movies.production.sound)