Re: DirectSound play events triggering before play is started

From: Chris P. [MVP] (msdn_at_chrisnet.net)
Date: 12/01/04

Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 16:56:14 -0500

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 08:41:50 -0500, Grant Schenck wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I don't appear to get this problem running on Win XP SP2. It seems to
> always occur in Win XP (without any SPs) and Win2K.
>
> Specifically, I open capture and play devices and setup the
> notifications and buffers. I then start capture (but not play) and
> the capture events start triggering but SO DO MY PLAY EVENTS.
>
> This doesn't make a whole lot of sense because I never requested for
> play to start. This happens for all play buffers I created for the
> specified device. I carefully checked my code and all appears
> correct. I'm using different event for notifications for the capture
> and each play buffer. In addition, all works correctly on WinXP SP2.
>
> So, obvious question is this a know issue with DirectSound on pre XP
> SP2 (or possible pre XP SP1?)

Do you get the same thing if you create the playback buffers as a software
buffer?

Relevant Pages

  • Re: DirectSound Garbled sound scenarios
    ... I create both capture and play buffers which are ... I am using different events for capture vs. play but I am only ... > and capture buffers which DS is trying to capture to or play from. ... potential underrun, overrun conditions. ...
    (microsoft.public.win32.programmer.directx.audio)
  • Re: DVD-making "capture" questions...
    ... To make DVD's that will play in "set top" players, ... To "capture" from camera's, utilize firewire, the file will automatically be ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.moviemaker)
  • Re: Unusual disaster - please help
    ... No files will play in Media Player and, worse, when I use the ... Have you tried to play another MPG from a 3rd party source? ... than your WM player is probably corrupt and will require you to reinstall. ... capture device in connection with an ongoing project converting old VHS tapes ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player)
  • Re: Capturing video from a DV camcorder
    ... I think it's better to find way to turn off Media Center at all. ... When I say "Play" mode, I mean the setting, not the ... When I click "Start Capture" on the screen, ... My camera is playing ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
  • Re: Why were my stones considered dead?
    ... Black can play no where without ... it seems that white has formed a safe area free from capture. ... Here is a guess without seeing your position - perhaps your stones are dead ... liberties, and White can play neither of the liberties without being ...
    (rec.games.go)