Re: Digital sign a driver for XP and Vista

Elvandar <gas_NOSPAMmarco@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
So, the driver seems to be signed correctly. In fact, if I right-click
on the catalog file, choose "properties" and go to the "Digital sign"
tab, the sign is shown with the timestamp and my company name.

Now, the problem is that under Windows Vista the driver is correctly
recognized as digitally signed, both 32 bit and 64 bit (above I showed
the process for the 32-bit version, but I did the same for the 64-bit
version using Inf2Cat with /os:XP_X64,Vista_X64), and it installs
without any problem, but in Windows XP the driver isn't recognized as
digitally signed! If I go to the device manager and check the driver
properties for my device Windows says that it isn't signed...

Right, because Device Manager is checking for the WHQL signature. What you
have done is called KMCS (Kernel Mode Code Signing), and its only purpose
is to allow your driver to be lodaed in the 64-bit systems. It has no
effect on the 32-bit systems at all, nor will it prevent the "unsigned
driver" warning at install time.

Did I do something wrong? Is there any other operation to do in order to
make the driver correctly recognized by Windows XP? I also tried using
the old Signability.exe to create the catalog file, but same result.

Nope, you've done nothing wrong. Device Manager on XP won't show your
driver as being signed until WHQL signs it.
--
Tim Roberts, timr@xxxxxxxxx
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.