Re: Scope of UMDF

Also, with UMDF, your user-mode driver will get device semantics such as
integration with Win32 IO and with PnP and Power management.

"Don Burn" <burn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
With all the logic in one application, you cannot use the device easily
for a second application. In addition you can provide standard interfaces
with UMDF. Years ago, I made a lot of money in the mini-computer era
converting applications that knew how to talk devices into drivers that
could be used by a variety of applications.

--
Don Burn (MVP, Windows DDK)
Windows 2k/XP/2k3 Filesystem and Driver Consulting

"Armageddon" <Armageddon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

"Maxim S. Shatskih" wrote:

Kernel mode driver cannot send IRPs to the UDMF reflector.

Then I fail to see what the point of UMDF is. If it can't participate in
driver stack(NDIS, storage, etc) then I don't see how UMDF is any better
then
putting all the logic in the application and using WinUSB.

  • Re: Kernel-mode simulator
    ... I am not sure if the driver I am building needs hardware or not. ... UMDF - I need to talk to actual hardware - so I don't know how well UMDF ... Maxim Shatskih, Windows DDK MVP ...
  • Re: Kernel-mode simulator
    ... VMWare supports more than one virtual cpu. ... I am not sure if the driver I am building needs hardware or not. ... UMDF - I need to talk to actual hardware - so I don't know how well UMDF ... Maxim Shatskih, Windows DDK MVP ...
  • Re: Client mode device driver: how to make system recognize it?
    ... Yes, Doron, this was a first thing I thought about when I've read UMDF ... driver can written to it. ... Not a network driver, but device driver. ... which control my network devices through TCP/winsock, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev)
  • Re: Kernel-mode simulator
    ... I am not sure if the driver I am building needs hardware or not. ... UMDF - I need to talk to actual hardware - so I don't know how well UMDF ... VMWare or MS Virtual PC or Virtual Server. ... Maxim Shatskih, Windows DDK MVP ...
  • Re: Blue screen with UMDF driver
    ... so I wanted to do a quick benchmark. ... Remember that UMDF can't do isochronous yet. ... have a WDM driver for the previous version of the hardware, ...