Re: need some serious help here!!!

From: Maxim S. Shatskih (maxim_at_storagecraft.com)
Date: 12/31/04

Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 22:55:23 +0300

> adoration. Except Maxim that is, who loves using command shells and no
> doubt something horrid like vi or emacs.

No, I love MSVC's editor, it is very handy.

I cannot imagine using vi for development. It is a pathetic simple thingie to
edit UNIX config files. Even the Midnight Commander's editor feature - "mc -e
myfile" is by far better then vi.

So, to edit PHP files, I do this in VC in a directory mounted from the UNIX
host by "smbfs" :)

As about emacs - my experience with it is - started it, did not found a way to
quit it, then killed it :) from what I known, it is a long past paleolythic
days of the software, the days of the green terminals, the days before the
WordStar's editor keyboard map was adopted.

Even Linus Torvalds hates emacs. The editor is just a junk in terms of
usability.

--
Maxim Shatskih, Windows DDK MVP
StorageCraft Corporation

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Great SWT Program
    ... But we're talking about a TEXT EDITOR. ... emacs if they really wanted to, well, I'm not enough of an elitist to ... This is not necessary with incremental search. ... your command at some primitive sort of command line. ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)
  • Re: need some serious help here!!!
    ... Except Maxim that is, who loves using command shells and no ... >>doubt something horrid like vi or emacs. ... > No, I love MSVC's editor, it is very handy. ...
  • Re: How To Learn Lisp
    ... HOW TO LEARN LISP ... it's built on a beast of a text editor called ... Emacs which is supposed to be all-powerful. ... I guess the nightmare learning curve you imply that makes it such a beast ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)
  • Re: Great SWT Program
    ... I'm talking about an arbitrary selection. ... And emacs, unlike your much vaunted ... I don't think I ever claimed that emacs was a "plain" editor. ... command, specifying the path to the binary and everything else, then ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)
  • Re: Text Engine
    ... much is to be said about using emacs not only as an editor ... There is much to say for RPN, ... So, imagine commands such as c5- which would act as cut, or ...
    (comp.programming)