Re: NAT implementation in an IM driver

From: Maxim S. Shatskih (maxim_at_storagecraft.com)
Date: 06/16/04

Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 14:08:07 +0400

    The NAT you're planning is an IM driver between the "world" NDIS adapter of
the router and the IP stack. It even must not filter the "internal" adapter.

    In this case, you do not need any MAC address chemistry, since the IP
router is also employed, and does its work. Just translate the addresses and
port numbers, and do not forget to recalculate the checksums. For functionality
description, look at "ipnat" manpage in FreeBSD - it is very good.

    After all, the "world" interface of the router can have some media type
other then Ethernet - like native ATM or 1394. In this case, the IM writing is
a huge PITA, since IP1394 and native ATM use the custom ARPs, and the interface
between them and their NDIS adapters is not documented (it uses custom NDIS
media types and packet formats).

    For PPP, MS was so kind to expose it as fake Ethernet :) PPP also uses the
custom ARP, but the packet format between WANARP and NDISWAN is fake Ethernet
(with some fake data in MAC addresses fields), so you can plug an Ethernet IM
driver there with not so large amount of work - or even "as is".

--
Maxim Shatskih, Windows DDK MVP
StorageCraft Corporation