Re: ADO future

Many questions here. For the 32 bit support, MS has already publicly
announced that Windows Server 2008 will be the last server OS supporting the
32 bit platform. Not only that, but it's even possible that the R2 release,
due 2009/2010, will be 64 bit only:

http://colinizer.com/2007/05/19/winhec-microsofts-last-32-bit-server-64-bit-only-from-now-on/

http://www.betanews.com/article/Windows_Server_2008_The_Last_32bit_Operating_System/1179359920

The 32 bit version will also be a stripped down version of the 64 bit
version of term of features. For example, the powerful next virtualization
software from MS, the Hyper-V, will likely be for 64 bit platforms only.
For 32 bit platform, people will have to keep Virtual Server 2005; which is
a toy in comparaison of the Hyper-V. Some server applications like Exchange
2007 are already available only for the 64 bit platform.

For the client side, the situation is less clear. There have been some
indications from MS that Vista might be the last 32-bit workstation OS
available but there have been other indications that this might not be true.
Personally, I'm thinking that the final decision will probably be a split
decision: some basic editions with basic features will be available in a 32
bit format but the more advanced features will only run on a 64 bit
platform.

In your case, the picture is bigger than simply a comparaison between Win32
and Win64 APIs. The real picture for you is probably a comparaison between
the classical use of Win32, COM/DCOM, OLE and Automation on one side and
..NET on the other side for the programming of a client GUI application and
this picture should not cover the past and the present but - and more
important for you because you will be developping a new application - the
future. This could be an interesting topic and probably that I could write
a whole book on it. In fact, probably that even a whole book would scratch
only the surface of such a topic. But sadly to say, I'm not here to write a
book for you.

I can just tell you that to me, you seems to make a comparaison between a
big company with tens of thousands of employes, supporting tens of big new
and legacy applications running on billions of machines with various
versions of OS on one side and yourself on the other side. MS can make a
decision to develop a new application that won't get out of the development
team(s) before five years; you, on your side, probably that you can't.

The question is not « Yes, my desktop application is a bit extensive and I
CANNOT compromise on speed, even very minute thing matters to me. ». In
fact, in your case, speed is probably only a remote and vague concept with
practically no relevance at all to your project.

The only questions important to you are: 1- can you do it? 2- can you do it
without too many bugs? and finally: 3- can you do it, without too many bugs
and inside a time frame to won't cover too many years?

You can compromise on speed but you CANNOT compromise on the fact that you
won't be able to develop the application, or that it will have too many bugs
or that you won't be able to finish it before a reasonable amount of time.
Don't be a fool enough to adventure yourself in waters to deep for you.
From my past experience, when a project fail, the most common reason for its
failure is because people working on it have overestimated themselves. Kind
of « We are real programmers, so we program applications by using only real
languages and real APIs. ». In my books, a real programmer is first of all
someone who can program an application and finish it; simply as that.
Instead of thinking about using real languages and real APIs (whatever this
mean), fist they should have thought about coding the application itself and
thought about their own capabilities.

--
Sylvain Lafontaine, ing.
MVP - Technologies Virtual-PC

"Venu" <venuc@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Hi,

Is Win32 in the process of being deprecated by MS ?

Who told this ? When ? Why ? If so, why there are new api's are added in
the
latest OS ?

Why there are no Dot Net applications from Microsoft ? Like office
applications or any other applications from them

and Why Visual C++ still supports unmanaged code

and Why there is no clear cut statement from Microsoft that, they are
deprecating.

I am not here to assume certain things and move forward with my
technological decisions.

I dont see anything new or great about .NET, which I cant do with WinAPI,
Maybe, for new developers it might sound great,
but it looks like a step backwards for me in terms of speed, overhead and
deployment. Libraries, they are for newbies, I can create my own.
and there is no source code given for their libraries.

Yes, my desktop application is a bit extensive and I CANNOT compromise on
speed, even very minute thing matters to me.

Venu

"Sylvain Lafontaine" <sylvain aei ca (fill the blanks, no spam please)>
wrote in message news:OyPNXivTIHA.1208@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Well, Win32 itself is in the process of beeing deprecated by MS; so even
without the question about ADO, the future of your product already looks
little dimmmer and saying things like « I don't want to use ADO.NET or
Dot
Net framework to develop my applications. » without giving the reason(s)
why
you don't want or can't use the .NET Framework will get you nowhere
excerpt
near an iceberg.

I don't know what kind of applications you plan to develop but if I were
you, I would be careful not to make a remake of the Titanic.

--
Sylvain Lafontaine, ing.
MVP - Technologies Virtual-PC
E-mail: sylvain aei ca (fill the blanks, no spam please)

"Venu" <venuc@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Hi,

I plan to develop applications using Native Win 32, for which I am
using
ADO as my database drivers.

I wonder, whether ADO for Win32 will long last and future updates will
be
made by Microsoft. At the same time, I dont want to use ADO.NET or Dot
Net
framework to develop my applications.

So, My question is, Is it a good idea to stick with ADO and Win32 and
hoping for feature updates for ADO technology in future ? If no, what
would be the likely time period this technology will last or supported
by
Microsoft ?

Thanks

Venu