Re: Prerequisites

From: Brad (nobody_at_nowhere.net)
Date: 09/15/04

Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 11:28:09 -0600

And for anyone else reading this, in case you didn't know, I forgot to
mention, as far as academic pricing, more and more colleges are joining
MSDNAA. If you take a single semester technology course (generally computer
science topic) at an MSDNAA participating school or university, you
generally receive access to their MSDNAA library, which will almost
certainly include downloadable academic copies of VS.NET, SQL Server,
Windows Server 2003, WinXP, Win2000 and dozens of other MS products. Its a
great deal!

"Brad" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> Actually if you start with the Windows Applications book from the kit it
> covers most of the major elements of C# or VB programming for a beginner,
> just give it a chance. But I'm not saying its entirely thorough, and if
> you're weak on OO then you may want to start with a regular text that goes
> over OOP in some detail. Petzold (you know, the Win32 guru) writes
> introductory-style texts for C#. If you're rusty on programming that's
> probably you're best route. There are also a little bit better books with
> more substance targeted toward more experienced persons, like "Inside C#,
> Second Ed." or "C#.NET, Second Ed." and others. For VB I don't know, I
try
> not to do VB unless I have to. Also use the VS.NET documentation and read
> MSDN. You also need to learn some SQL and even a little about Microsoft's
> SQL Server and IIS 5.0/6.0 products. Some XML knowledge won't hurt
either.
> For general SQL you might try the "SQL Bible", or for more Transact-SQL
> oriented the "SQL Server 2000 Bible" from the same series, or you could
just
> read from the SQL Server Books Online, or any number of other SQL or SQL
> Server books. There's not much to IIS from a pure development standpoint,
> but you need to understand virtual directories a little when you get into
> ASP.NET and web services. You can used the evaluation versions of Visual
> Studio.NET 2003 and SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Edition, but that only
gives
> you 90 days. If you enroll in a college course you can get academic
pricing
> on VS.NET Professional for only $100. The individual products (C#.NET,
> VB.NET) can be purchased academically for $60, or $100 off-the-shelf.
> There's also SQL Server 2000 Developer Edition, same features as
Enterprise