Re: .Net project failures

From: The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere (.)
Date: 09/14/04

Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 12:57:00 +0100

>Requirement: Handle 600 - 800 transations /Sec on Peak Hours
>30-40 tables per Transaction / Numerous updates and inserts/ Little CPU more
>IO due to DB

Simply down to poor infrastructure planning/understanding - don't tell
me, single database server!!! please don't say yes....

How application servers in the farm?

How many of those transactions come through the wan? How many web
servers in the farm?

I was involved with a banking system back in 1998 which was expected
to be able to handle 100,000 secure 'business transactions' an hour
(peek time = 1 to 1.5 hours per day), which is somewhat less than your
scenario, however this involved :-

32 web servers dual PII 450 512 ram.

Initially 16 application servers (same spec as the web server's I
think)

There were four Oracle database servers running on AIX (big spec
machines)

The whole system, as a result of performance testing was determined to
have a [theoretical] functional limit of about one million business
transaction per hour. In reality, the system never received more than
10,000 business transaction an hour, even at peek time, so the real
winner was idle time!

The main reason for the success of the system was the excellent
communication between the ms, ibm and oracle consultants, there was no
inter company bickering whatsoever - we would not have tolerated that
anyway!

Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3