Re: .Net project failures

From: The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere (.)
Date: 09/14/04

Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 12:57:00 +0100

>Requirement: Handle 600 - 800 transations /Sec on Peak Hours
>30-40 tables per Transaction / Numerous updates and inserts/ Little CPU more
>IO due to DB

Simply down to poor infrastructure planning/understanding - don't tell
me, single database server!!! please don't say yes....

How application servers in the farm?

How many of those transactions come through the wan? How many web
servers in the farm?

I was involved with a banking system back in 1998 which was expected
to be able to handle 100,000 secure 'business transactions' an hour
(peek time = 1 to 1.5 hours per day), which is somewhat less than your
scenario, however this involved :-

32 web servers dual PII 450 512 ram.

Initially 16 application servers (same spec as the web server's I
think)

There were four Oracle database servers running on AIX (big spec
machines)

The whole system, as a result of performance testing was determined to
have a [theoretical] functional limit of about one million business
transaction per hour. In reality, the system never received more than
10,000 business transaction an hour, even at peek time, so the real
winner was idle time!

The main reason for the success of the system was the excellent
communication between the ms, ibm and oracle consultants, there was no
inter company bickering whatsoever - we would not have tolerated that
anyway!

Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Hardware migration/upgrade and SPP 2003 w/SQL 2000
    ... Backed up the data from the existing farm and restored it ... >> I am planning to separate Sharepoint and SQL server and put them on ... >> servers. ... Anyone know of a white paper or script of some sort that walks ...
  • Re: SharePoint Upgrade Help Needed
    ... Your farm architecture will be different so taking a DR type backup ... with web servers, application servers and sql servers all separated. ... would be an in place upgrade, and if some sites are not properly ... two app servers and sql cluster. ...
  • RE: Setting up a new Terminal Server farm with NLB and Session Dir
    ... On your first node have IP for LAN and have an IP that you want your "farm" ... of the terminal servers. ...
  • RE: HELP: OSPS2003-SP1 deployment on a medium farm
    ... you can install WSS & OSPS2003 SP1 on a medium farm by using ... My physical servers: ... Content Delivery 1 ... 4- Run the upgrade on the last one. ...
  • Re: .Net project failures
    ... web farms. ... > How application servers in the farm? ... > 10,000 business transaction an hour, even at peek time, so the real ...
    (microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcsd)