Re: Can VB be as powerful as VC++?

From: The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere (.)
Date: 06/05/04

Date: Sat, 05 Jun 2004 20:52:00 +0100

>Which would be worse ,not sticking to a tight deadline or
>not writing text book code ... Learn fron others mistakes...
>and real life ....

It never ceases to amaze me when I hear these sort of statements.

'We never produced a good system because we never had enough time'
What that really means is 'We never produced a good system because we
don't know *HOW* to produce a good systems'. These companies never
have enough time to do it right, but always have enough time to do it
all over again (often with the same outcome), wasting millions in the
process.

For any given business problem,tight deadlines *should* never be the
excuse for not producing the right solution which is fit for purpose.
All the projects I have ever worked on are to 'tight deadlines',
seldom do we miss a deadline, and we NEVER compromise on quality. The
reason for this, is that we have a number of set process models used
for producing and maintaining the software that my company require
(and require it to work as defined). These process models are
continually being reviewed and enhanced to reflect the business needs,
and there is no 'one size fits all'.

Many of the problems with software development are down to the fact
that the actual problem to be solved (often the whole problem domain)
is not understood. So how can estimates (or quotes) be given when even
at a high level, the problem is not understood!!! This is all to often
the case when the solution to a problems is 'outsourced' to another
company (often to the cheapest bidder) who does not fully understand
your business.

In a nutshell, it is quality before all else in software development,
and thank God I never had to answer to people who promote
incompetence.

Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3