Re: If you've taken 70-290, were there questions on....

I don't think this is about calculating subnetting, it looks like they want you to have a look at DHCP1 to see what the next static IP address in the exclusions for the 136.0.0.0/22 range and assign it to the F&P server. Then modify the F&P server's NIC DNS properties to perform the correct DNS query domain ordering.

It's a pretty good example of the kind of 'tricky' question that makes people think there's more to it than there is!

rgds

_Chris

"JohnB" <jbrigan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:%23c8dVSdsIHA.3420@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Below is the question from the test. I would say that there is more involved in subnetting here than "just for context". Seems like this should be in 70-291 or 70-292.

You are the network administrator for United Sales. The network contains one parent domain, unitedsales.com, and two child domains, east.unitedsales.com and west.unitedsales.com. The network contains 1,500 Windows XP Professional client computers and three Windows Server 2003 computers. A portion of the network is shown in the exhibit. (Click the Exhibit button.)

DHCP1 provides IP addresses to all client computers on your network. Router1 is configured to forward all BOOTP packets. The scope for Subnet 1 is from the 136.0.0.0/22 network address range. The scope for Subnet 2 is from the 136.0.4.0/23 network address range. Exclusion ranges have been created consisting of the first ten addresses in each scope. All IP configurations are statically assigned to servers.

Your company has decided to implement a file and print server on Subnet 1. You are responsible for configuring the appropriate static TCP/IP properties for this new computer. The computer should use the next available IP address on its subnet. For resolution of unqualified names, the file server should append the name with the following domain names, in this order: east.unitedsales.com, west.unitedsales.com, and unitedsales.com.

What should you do?

To answer the question, perform the appropriate actions in the simulation. (When you are finished, click the Done button.)