Re: AD, DNS and 2003 help

DNS, LDAP, Kerberos, Global Catalogue Ports

"Consultant" <consultant_mcngp@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:uGd0QQWyHHA.5584@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
you also need ldap ports open

"Gregory Gilarowski" <igilarog@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:Og%2388yUyHHA.5024@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Studying for 70-290.

I set up AD and DNS on Server 2003. Opened up port 53 for DNS. Trying to connect some workstations to domain. Workstations cannot connect to domain. IF I disable firewall on Server 2003, then workstations connect to domain fine.

I checked the firewall log and there are a lot of dropped packets on port 137. (I don't know if this is relevant)

What, if any, ports and/or exceptions do I need to open up so my workstations connect and the firewall is up on server?
Do I even need DNS server?

Greg

  • Re: DNS Question
    ... If on my internal LAN I have workstations that are members of the ... External DNS resolution is done by the SBS, and those ISP DNS server IP ... Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection: ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: DCpromo issue. Health check on AD and group policy.
    ... We have also had intermittent issues with some workstations on the domain not ... The problem is I tryed to DCpromo this server yesterday and couldn't remove ... Single label AD DNS domain name. ... Otherwise, if you need additional specific assistance to get communication working, we'll need specific config info from your machines. ...
  • Re: Strange Issue Moving from SBS 2000 to Server 2003 R2
    ... The following error occurred when DNS was queried for the service location ... Errors in your event logs on the workstations or W2k3 server? ... the workstations still know anything about the old SBS 2000 ISA server. ...
    (microsoft.public.backoffice.smallbiz2000)
  • Re: No DNS
    ... "The Internet Assigned Numbers Authority has reserved private IP ... The workstations assigned themselves an address when DHCP failed. ... I enabled dhcp and dns on the server and insured my scope was ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Strange Issue Moving from SBS 2000 to Server 2003 R2
    ... The following error occurred when DNS was queried for the service location ... What happens if you just turn the SBS 2000 off or remove it from the wires. ... Errors in your event logs on the workstations or W2k3 server? ...
    (microsoft.public.backoffice.smallbiz2000)