Re: backup program question

ok. Thanks.

"The Rev [MCT]" <ireportbadpeople@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:exGzSvTaGHA.508@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
No VSS doesn't need ot be preconfigured or enable for the NTBackup
utillity to use VSS backups.....

--
.rev.mct.mcngp.44

It is the mark of an educated man to be able to entertain a thought
without accepting it.
~Aristotle
.
"djc" <noone@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
questions about 2k3's new ability to backup open files using the backup
utility. I know this feature uses the shadow copy technology but:

1) do 'Shadow Copies' have to be enabled/configured on a volume for
feature
to work or does the backup utility handle this independantly?

2) if answer to 1 is yes: do shadow copies have to be enabled on THE
volume
being backed up or just any volume on the source system?

2b) what if one backup job covers several servers each with several hard
drives each? do shadow copies need to be enabled/configured on all
volumes
being backed up on all the servers?

needing clarification,
djc

  • Tweaking VBScript to backup Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 R2 virtu
    ... servers which puts them into a saved state, copies the data (.vhd, .vsv and ... and then restores them from their saved state. ... 'Drive containing Virtual Machines ... 'Prepare shadow copy commands ...
    (microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript)
  • Shadow a TS session FROM XP pro
    ... connect to our terminal servers to run our application. ... and shadow users when they call in for help. ... A possible solution that we thought of is to look up the users session ... shadow from the support tech's desktop machine via a custom software ...
  • Volume Shadow Copy - how to test to make sure new copies are being created?
    ... I am running into a problem where several of our Windows 2003 ... servers are no longer creating shadow copies on their shares. ...
  • Re: backup program question
    ... No VSS doesn't need ot be preconfigured or enable for the NTBackup utillity ... I know this feature uses the shadow copy technology but: ... to work or does the backup utility handle this independantly? ... 2b) what if one backup job covers several servers each with several hard ...
    (microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcsa)
  • Re: Available Storage Space declines precipitously
    ... I checked and low and behold, ... unhide system folders and change the NTFS permissions on it to give you ... Of the 100+ servers we run, ... just stop the Volume Shadow Copy Service on the ...
    (microsoft.public.exchange.admin)