Re: User rights in win 2003 d

From: Digital_X (DigitalX_at_discussions.microsoft.com)
Date: 03/21/05

Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 14:41:02 -0800

IF I log on as admin or use the run as command the program will install and I
can run it as admin but it will still not run as a normal user. This is a
win2003 domain with win xp clients.Any Ideas?

"blastingfonda" wrote:

> Some Guy wrote:
>
> > By doing what you ask, you are circumventing the point of the user
> > account and the built security behind a windows domain. Thus, why
> users
> > are not allowed to install apps on clients.
> >
> > Someguy
>
> Yeah, it's a tradeoff. When you give a user full rights to install
> apps, you giving them nearly-full access to the registry and to the
> Windows and Program Files directories. That alone undermines the
> security of your box in a major way. Locking a user down yet giving
> them rights to the registry are mutually exclusive actions. The Power
> Users group is a compromise but even that group has a number of
> limitations on what apps it can install and yet at the same time it
> gives users way too many permissions as well.
>
> Anyone with a desire to obtain full admin rights to their box could do
> so pretty easily once given the rights to install and run any app.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Granting all users Admin Rights
    ... I am a Network Admin for Cuesta College and we are dealing with the same ... Techs to go to install every little piece of software on users computers. ... I believe that giving users Power Users rights is the best way ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • Re: Printer Problems
    ... he had the user rights to disable ... (default install behavior on xp), and it failed because DeskJet needs it ... If you create another admin on that system, you could see the problem again, ... > I manage a small network at a downtown Denver hotel. ...
  • RE: Group Policy denies access to some programs
    ... and they can provide you with the needed rights for each file and directory ... both during an install and for running the program post-install. ... Group Policy denies access to some programs ... under my admin account, ...
    (Focus-Microsoft)
  • Re: Impact of removing administrative rights in an enterprise running XP
    ... You can easily install patches without admin rights... ... WSUS can push out patches and the workstations do not need admin rights. ... Yes, there are success stories, but it's totally dependent on a managed network. ...
    (Focus-Microsoft)
  • Re: Norton Internet Security 2005 Personal Firewall slows down Windows XP startup
    ... I run windows xp pro as admin always, you can't install apps as ... Joe, you're wrong, you can install the apps as Administrator and then ... runs as a User account all the time. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)