Re: AD DNS zone

From: Kerberos (anonymous_at_discussions.microsoft.com)
Date: 02/17/04

Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 13:26:06 -0800

A DNS Active Directory zone is replicated to ALL domain controllers regardless of whether DNS is installed on them - it is part of normal replication. HOWEVER, in order for a server to answer DNS queries, the DNS service must be installed on the server.

So the short answer to your question is no , you will not have to setup DNS on the other DC for DNS to be replicated.----- Samantha Hyatt wrote: -----

     "I have two DC running Server 2000 and setup an AD
>integrated DNS zone and DHCP on one of the DC. Will I
>need to setup DNS on the other DC or will DNS be
>replicated to both DCs through AD? Or, is it that I
     need
>to setup DNS on both DC and setup an AD integrated DNS
>zone for it to replicate between the two DCs?"

     DNS Can't be Active Directory Integrated without there being 2 servers. So, to answer your question..... you need to set up 2 AD Integrated DNS Zones on separate servers in order for them to replicate to each other.

     --
     Samantha Hyatt
     momma2syan@hotmail.com

     "What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us."
     -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
       "Dan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:f59f01c3f18d$6c670740$a401280a@phx.gbl...
       If you want to replicate the DNS records then you,
       obviously, need at least two DNS servers to transfer the
       data between. A DNS server can't, and won't even attempt
       to, replicate data to itself even if it is AD integrated.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: guid based dns name not registered
    ... Pointed all DCs at one box and reregistered DNS SRV records. ... can resolve the appropriate records to be able to replicate. ... Dns entries for this DC cannot be verified right now on dns server 192.1.2.3. ... It will create a zone called ...
  • Re: Dns delegation question ( win2k3)
    ... I am stuck in the delegation part in win2k3 dns ... you should also have a zone for _msdcs.ccofc.edu. ... replicating to all DNS servers in the domain, do NOT replicate this Stub ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.dns)
  • Re: losing DNS records
    ... > 2003 Native Mode, Single Forest-Single Domain, AD Integrated DNS ... > zones, Secure Updates only, no scavenging, 36 DNS servers all on 2003 ... Are there any events in the event log about a conflicting zone in AD? ... other data that must replicate. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.dns)
  • Re: simple DNS question
    ... > I would like the Forward Lookup Zones to replicate between the DNS ... focus upon -- and every zone is integrated or not into AD separately. ... DNS servers for the zone supporting the domain and integrate ...
  • Re: How to rebuild a single AD... Please Help...
    ... it says Replicate from IRDC01 and Replicate to ... and for IRDC02 NTDS settings, it says Replicate from IRDC02 and Replicate to ... "Jorge Silva" wrote: ... I have added a new dc now, made it a gc and dns and have transferred ...