Re: AD DNS zone

From: Kerberos (anonymous_at_discussions.microsoft.com)
Date: 02/17/04

Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 13:26:06 -0800

A DNS Active Directory zone is replicated to ALL domain controllers regardless of whether DNS is installed on them - it is part of normal replication. HOWEVER, in order for a server to answer DNS queries, the DNS service must be installed on the server.

So the short answer to your question is no , you will not have to setup DNS on the other DC for DNS to be replicated.----- Samantha Hyatt wrote: -----

     "I have two DC running Server 2000 and setup an AD
>integrated DNS zone and DHCP on one of the DC. Will I
>need to setup DNS on the other DC or will DNS be
>replicated to both DCs through AD? Or, is it that I
     need
>to setup DNS on both DC and setup an AD integrated DNS
>zone for it to replicate between the two DCs?"

     DNS Can't be Active Directory Integrated without there being 2 servers. So, to answer your question..... you need to set up 2 AD Integrated DNS Zones on separate servers in order for them to replicate to each other.

     --
     Samantha Hyatt
     momma2syan@hotmail.com

     "What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us."
     -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
       "Dan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:f59f01c3f18d$6c670740$a401280a@phx.gbl...
       If you want to replicate the DNS records then you,
       obviously, need at least two DNS servers to transfer the
       data between. A DNS server can't, and won't even attempt
       to, replicate data to itself even if it is AD integrated.