Re: Drive setup

From: Marko (anonymous_at_discussions.microsoft.com)
Date: 02/12/04

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 15:56:07 -0800

Right off the bat, I am going to be controversial and suggest
that there has been some very bad advice given here.

Hardware RAID is much better than software RAID. Always.
I will cite speed, CPU utilisation and efficiency as just some
obvious reasons.

Even if you convert a Basic disk to a Dynamic disk, you cannot
make the changes yo want to if the boot disk sdtarted live as
a Basic disk.

Given the choice, you would probably always create RAID5
arrays using every disk, reducing the amount of wasted disk
space through parity. Not only is it a good idea to have RAID
for your system partition, but it will be much quicker, striping
data across four fast disks. Create a partition for the paging
file to further improve performance (no fragmentation).

And yes, you can still software RAID even if you have a perfectly
good hardware RAID controller.

And yes, you can still punch out the letters you want to type
with an on-screen keyboard, even though you have a perfectly
good keyboard sitting on the desk.