Re: Drive setup

anonymous_at_discussions.microsoft.com
Date: 02/12/04

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 12:32:25 -0800

You can still software RAID with a raid controller :)

to me.

>> He didnt mention if he was going to use hardware or
>> software raid.

software
>> RAID thats part of
>> >the OS. The most common way to set up a server is to
>> have 2 drives mirrored
>> >as the boot drives for redundancy and the remainder
set
>> up in RAID5. Since
>> >he only has 4 drives in this case he should just use a
>> RAID5 for all the
>> >disks, It doesn't hurt to have fault tolerance for the
>> OS.
>> >
>> >"Dan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message
me
>> if
installed
converted
>> all
boot

>> these
of
the
>> be

myself

originally
>> volume.
coworker
Would
>> or
him
loose
>> happened
>> time.
>> >> >

>> >.

  • Re: asm on san
    ... For example, I've got 5 disks in RAID5, so if ASM ... If your boss told you to evaluate RAID 5, it is very likely that he ... then it really doesn't matter the spindle read/write rate. ... own internal hardware purchasers and users. ...
    (comp.databases.oracle.server)
  • Re: [opensuse] Raid 5 installation
    ... I also purchased 4 WD 400G SATA drives to make a 1.09T ... raid5 array under Linux, SUSE 10.2. ... (which would defeat the hardware raid controller builtin to the MB). ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Hard or soft RAID
    ... > Have had problems in the past actually getting hardware RAID5 ... One drive per channel on the card. ... Hardware RAID is about the same as software RAID ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: [opensuse] Raid 5 installation
    ... I also purchased 4 WD 400G SATA drives to make a 1.09T ... raid5 array under Linux, SUSE 10.2. ... I don't know about your MB, but most onboard raid is fake-raid. ... booting that would allow me to use the hardware raid5 drives rather than ...
    (SuSE)
  • software to hardware raid
    ... I want to upgrade a server from a software raid setup to hardware raid. ... go to disk management console and create software mirror of "C" ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)