Re: PC gone berserk

From: Herb Martin (news_at_LearnQuick.com)
Date: 02/04/04

Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 21:17:05 -0600

Reinstall is a world of difference from reformatting the hard drive
which is definitely the recommendations of tyros or a crual joke.

Never have I had to re-install even a Win9x machine though; they are have
always been recoverable.

Telling someone to "reformat the drive" is almost certainly STUPID or EVIL.

--
Herb Martin
"Patrick Jones" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Herb apparently has not dealt with Windows 98 (which he plainly admitted).
Unless you would like to go line by line through the Windows Registry, a
reinstall is the only logical fix.  If the user reinstalls over top of his
current installation, he should not loose any data files.  He will need to
reinstall his programs, but the data will be saved.

> Unfortunately, this is common for Windows 98.  It also is not the
"immoral" solution you make it out to be.  He will be fine.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: System Restore, Multiple Partitions
    ... Windows, ... reinstall Windows, you also have to reinstall all your programs. ... I know nothing about MS Works, but Microsoft Office does *not* default to storing data files in the folder where it is installed. ... Seems like in 98SE they defaulted to the install folder but it's been a long time since I installed either program and now I'm on XP and it probably does use My Documents as the default. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • Re: How do I change the value of a registry key?
    ... If the problem occured right after I reinstalled I would reinstall again immediately. ... I am using Drive D: as my Windows directory, and Drive C: as the drive where I install all my data so it doesn't get lost. ... One of the best methods of keeping data files originally located on drive C: is to define a new "Program Files" directory on Drive C: and to relocate all progrms from Drive D: to Drive C: during their installation process. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • Re: System Restore, Multiple Partitions
    ... Windows, ... reinstall Windows, you also have to reinstall all your programs. ... storing data files in the folder where it is installed. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • Re: Lost programs
    ... How did you reinstall XP? ... then all your pre-existing programs and data files ... MS-MVP Windows Shell/User ...
  • Re: EFS Certificates and Keys when Changing Password
    ... Then I encrypt more data files. ... my Windows XP installation becomes unusable. ... Then I reinstall a fresh copy ... from my floppy into the fresh installation of Windows XP? ...