Re: A+ certificate

From: senseofhumor13 (anonymous_at_discussions.microsoft.com)
Date: 02/02/04

Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 15:05:06 -0800

Hey Brat, always nice to hear from you! You make my day
baby!!! Ok, I like all the advices provided and will
consider and probably adhere to all your suggestions. I
just checked out the books on amazon. I saw the mcsa core
books (210,215,216,218) for $139.00 that's a pretty good
price right? Also, you've mentioned additional reading,
any suggestions? I found A+ by Myers, I briefed through
it a bit (actually, I just checked out the pictures) and
I have to admit, it's much more interesting than the A+
book that I've been reading. I may buy that at a later
date, but for now, I really want to focus on 210. I'm
hoping to obtain my mcsa cert within 3 months, is that
within reason for someone who is just getting started in
the computer field?

Thanks as always.

benefits... first and
>foremost is that the drivers are digitally signed and
coded into the HCL...
>you can plug in the device and use it instantly. The
manufacturers
>basically have paid a fee to M$ to have this service...
now on the flip side
>of that... my NVidia GeForce 4 MX 440 vid card is not in
the HCL but
>functions perfectly... all I had to do was install the
drivers while my old
>on-board POS card was still connected then move the
cable over to the new
>card and voila!! I have a new video card that is now
functioning. In some
>cases, it is better to use an HCL supported device as
some manufacturers are
>either hard to find for driver updates or they are not
reputable enough to
>trust... Personally I have no preference to the
supported or unsupported
>devices on anything I have upgraded to for my system.
Were you thinking of
>something specific or were you just asking a general
question? If you ask
>M$, they will tell you ALWAYS get an HCL supported
device... blah.. they
>just want more money lol
>
>2. DOMAIN DOMAIN DOMAIN... workgroups SUCK!! lol
sorta... Domains give you
>centralized administration of users, groups, policies,
permissions, devices
>and also allows for a universal login. You can go to
any machine in the
>domain/organization and log in, you can fix a printer
without even leaving
>your desk... the usual fault tolerance and redundancy
and many more ... with
>workgroups... all changes have to be done on EACH
machine (hope you have
>strong running legs lol) and you can only log in locally
on the machine you
>have been set up as a user.
>
>3. Not all that common but only on servers. The
downfall is that they DO
>have to be identical... AND your motherboard, operating
system, and
>applications all have to be capable of running on
multiple processors. This
>can get VERY expensive... for some organizations, this
can mean that whole
>systems have to be replaced as opposed to just one or
two parts.

>As for my books... I have kept all my text books...
never know when you will
>need a reference... I would sell them though but by the
time you add on
>shipping costs from Canada to the US... you could get
them for cheaper on
>Amazon... check with them... they sometimes have used
copies. I have the
>2000 Pro book from MS Press... it was an ok book but you
really needed
>something else with it... a lab book... or exam cram...
just to cover

wrote in message
>> Hey Brat, once again, I'll defer to you and your
wisdom.
>> You're right, I should start with 2000 and later
upgrade
>> to xp. I do have several questions for you though:
>>
>> 1. How important is it that I use devices that are HCL?
>> 2. What is the advantage over domain vs. workgroup or
>> vice versa if there are any?
>> 3. I've read that 2000 is SMP. Is utilzation of
multiple
>> processor common in the workplace and if so, do the
>> processors have to be exact? And, what's the advantage
of
>> using mulpiple processors other than for efficiency?
>>
>> Hey, I was about to order the books for 2000 track
online
>> then it dawned on me that perhaps that you'd like to
sell
>> me yours. If you're interested in selling it, let me
know.

>> Hope you had a great time celebrating your 3rd year
>> anniversary and hope to hear from you soon.

most
>> familiar with not
>> >which one is superior... I run both... I like the
visual
>> affect of XP but I
>> >like the 2000 because that is the cert I concentrated
>> on and know the most
>> >about. I still support going with 2000 because it is
>> more popular with
>> >employers so far... and if you get 2000 and then
upgrade
>> to 2k3 you not only
>> >get 2 certs but you also are showing employers that
you
>> are committed to
>> >keeping your skills active and up to date with the
>> changing times. this
>> >also shows the employer that should they decide to go
up
>> to XP, you are
>> >ready immediately instead of having to study while the
>> upgrade goes on
>> >around you. Makes a well rounded employee IMHO.
>> >
>> >Ok date night folks... celebrating my 3rd anniversary
(6
>> feb but both kids
>> >are out of the house for the night so taking
>> advantage)... I'll be around as
>> >always after tonight but keep in mind I start work on
>> Monday so I may not be
>> >readily available at all times to answer questions. I
>> will try to give
>> >timely advice whenever possible.
>> >
>> >--
>> >Sue *thoroughly enjoying this thread - real
intelligence
>> here... truely :) *
>> >Thugette #69
>> >
>> ><anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> [...]