Pre-requesites for MCAD cert - where to begin?

From: hadi (anonymous_at_discussions.microsoft.com)
Date: 11/29/04

Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 20:29:38 -0800

Hi Kevin,

basically zero in
the MS world), can anyone suggest a series of books to
start out with? I've looked on Amazon, and you can find
"Beginner's guide to VB.NET" and "Beginner's guide to C#
.NET" until your eyes bleed from looking at all the search
results. But I have no idea which route to take in
starting out.

Any beginner books should be alright. Probably what you're
confused right now is basically which languages (C# or
VB.NET) should you acquired right now ? Any of them (C# or
VB.NET) should be alright, if you have some Java or C++
programming background, then C# would be quite similar to
it. I would recommended C# to be your programming language
if you have some background in Java or C++.

You will need to start acquire the MCAD certification
first. From your current background, the 70-315 (Developing
Web Apps with C#) will be a good start for you since you
have a web experience background in PHP before.

thinking of
acquiring one of these certifications? I realize I do not
have a Comp Sci degree, nor do I have a solid programming
background. However, I am finishing up my IT degree right
now, and have a real desire to learn application development.

Nope. Don't be despair, as there is no word as "too late"
in order to learn anything. But obviously you need to be
realistic with your current skills. Learn the Certification
step-by-step from ground up and you will be amazed by how
much skills that you can acquire through your high desire
of learning.

can cost big
bucks. But I have always absorbed information much better when
learning it in a classroom environment. So I'm looking for
some advice on people's take on the instruction course
route vs. self-teaching from books?

Taking a course should be better if you have enough
resources and time. For me, i learn the 70-315 test by
myself, mostly by reading books, a lot of MSDN, reading
newsgroup and consider it self-taught. Although i am
employed currently, i am not using all aspects in ASP.NET
and only use thoroughly ADO.NET.

Hope you're quite satisfy with my answer and good luck ...

Rgrds,
hadi

certifications, and
>really like the looks of the MCAD and MCSD certs. The
only problem
>is, I do not really have a solid programming background
and would more
>or less be starting fresh.
>
>Let me clarify a bit more, since I don't want you guys to
assume I'm a
>total noob :-) I've been working in the industry for
nearly 8yrs, but
>for the past 7yrs the main focus of my job has been on
Linux web
>servers. I have also overseen development of a number of
Perl & PHP
>web applications, although I have never taken on the
coding of these
>applications myself.
>
>The main focus of my work on these Perl/PHP/MySQL-based
projects was
>coming up with the initial concept, interface design
(using HTML,
>XTHML, CSS, etc..), install & implementation, and testing and
>administration. I can certainly work my way around code,
but it has
>never been in my best interest to take on the coding
simply because of
>the learning curve involved, and financial and time
factors involved.

>>From the looks of the side-by-side comparison of MCAD vs.
MCSD, it
>appears MCAD would be a bit more friendly to the novice
programmer.
>Where MCSD appers to be a quite in-depth certification.
>
>So I have a few questions that I'm hoping I can get some
advice on:

>1. With my level of programming experience (which is
basically zero in
>the MS world), can anyone suggest a series of books to
start out with?

>I've looked on Amazon, and you can find "Beginner's guide
to VB.NET"
>and "Beginner's guide to C# .NET" until your eyes bleed
from looking
>at all the search results. But I have no idea which route
to take in
>starting out.
>
>2. Would you guys feel I'm reaching a bit too high in
thinking of
>acquiring one of these certifications?
>
>I realize I do not have a Comp Sci degree, nor do I have a
solid
>programming background. However, I am finishing up my IT
degree right
>now, and have a real desire to learn application development.
>
>I guess everyone has to start somewhere when they decide
to acquire
>these certifications -- and not everyone has had the
advantage of
>being taught on the job. So I'm really looking for advice
on which
>path to start out with to gain the pre-requesite knowledge.
>
>3. I know that bricks and morter instruction courses can
cost big
>bucks. But I have always absorbed information much better
when
>learning it in a classroom environment.
>
>So I'm looking for some advice on people's take on the
instruction
>course route vs. self-teaching from books?
>
>I'll end my long-winded plea for help here :-) Any advice
you guys