Exam 70-306 - VS.NET or VB.NET ?

From: Jackie (anonymous_at_discussions.microsoft.com)
Date: 03/10/04

Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 17:31:31 -0800

improve my chances of
>regaining employment after being made redundant over a
year ago now !

>I come from a C++ background so object oriented
programming is not hard to
>grasp, and I have 16 months of commercial VB 6.0
experience.

>My question is, and remember I'm on a tight budget here,
can I get away with
>using VB.NET standard edition for the exam OR do I need
VS.NET ?

>If it's VS.NET, Professional or Enterprise edition ?
>
>Microsoft's site gives no clear indication of this :-(
>
>TIA
I'm in a similar situation and I opted to get the 60-day
trial version of VS.NET ($10.00 ten$US) I also upgraded
from W98 to W2000($216.00) profession O/S. Optionally, I
added another 128mb of memory. It took about 3 - 4 days to
get this all set up on my computer because I had to
download a ton of stuff(I have dial up) some of which took
8 - 9 hours to download(overnight).

I also choose Amit Kalani's Training Guides. I have a C++
background with no VB so I chose C#. The Training Guides
are not expensive; under $50. I have 315, 320, and 316.
I've passed the first two exams the first try and I'm now
starting the last one. Unfortunately I think the software
told me it will expire on 3/31 but I counted today and 60
days is 3/13 so I don't know if I turned the number around
or if it really is 3/31. At any rate, 316 isn't too much
different from 315 from what I can see and having gone
through the first two exams, I feel confident I can do
this last one even if the VS expires.

Moral of the story. You don't need to actually buy the
real thing. You can fly by the seat of your pants and do
the trial software. I'm not working either so I sit for 8
or more hours each day and get the stuff done. You have to
be discipline. I did the last one in two weeks and though
I have an interview tomorrow to prepare for, I really want
to stay up awhile to get alot of this redundant 316 stuff
done.

If you have a license for one of the other versions, say
VS 6.0, you can get a discount price.I would get the
professional if I were to buy the real deal.

Good luck!
Jackie
P.S. Anyone know how to check the expiration date on the
trial copy of VS.NET?

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Is TestKing Legitimate?
    ... Microsoft defined certain requirements to be certified. ... >>those requirements when taking the exam, ... >>bullhorn at certification candidates' lack of knowledge help increase the ... it takes all different types of people to comprise this profession. ...
    (microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcad)
  • Re: Is TestKing Legitimate?
    ... Microsoft defined certain requirements to be certified. ... >>those requirements when taking the exam, ... >>bullhorn at certification candidates' lack of knowledge help increase the ... it takes all different types of people to comprise this profession. ...
    (microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcsd)
  • Re: Is TestKing Legitimate?
    ... however I believe our views should matter. ... >mean that those with mediocre skills are unsuited for this profession? ... certification is about, more the fool any company that falls for it. ... >pass the exam. ...
    (microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcad)
  • Re: Is TestKing Legitimate?
    ... however I believe our views should matter. ... >mean that those with mediocre skills are unsuited for this profession? ... certification is about, more the fool any company that falls for it. ... >pass the exam. ...
    (microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcsd)
  • Re: New MCSA upgrade path?
    ... Are these tests going to expire on the 31st or does that only apply to 2000 ... "John R" wrote: ... If Prometric lets you schedule the exam, and you go take it, you'll get credit for it at Microsoft, even if it is after the March 31 official retirement. ...
    (microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcsa)