Re: Another Mx Problem

An MX record should be a host name, not an IP address. There should be an A
record for that hostname , so they are basically correct. 64.115.124.115 is
mail.sa-intl.org, (although it says sai.sa-intl.org in the greeting) so
that is the hostname you should use, so that the reverse lookup also works
correctly. Priority should be a number, I think, eg 10 for the primary
and 20 for the secondary.

Have a look at what DNS report says about your MX records
http://www.dnsreport.com/tools/dnsreport.ch?domain=sa-intl.org

Kathy

"Applebaum" <mappleNOSPAM@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> We recently switched our DNS services to Register.com. At first, I copied
> the way our settings had been before. For Mx records, I put in:
>
> Host Name Priority Mail Server
>
> sa-intl.org High 64.115.124.115
> it.sa-intl.org High mail.centroitalia.coop.org
>
> After I set this up, it worked just fine, or so I thought.
>
> Then I checked with Register.com's tech support to verify that I had set
up
> the subdomain's (it.) Mx record properly. They said that I had, but they
> insisted that for our main record, it should say mail.sa-intl.org, and NOT
> our mail server's IP address, and we should have an A record pointing
> mail.sa-intl.org to our mail server's IP address.
>
> I followed their advice, and we stopped receiving external email. So I
> switched the Mx record back to our IP address, and we received external
> email again.
>
> But I'm getting reports that people from some domains are unable to email
> us. They're getting NDRs like:
>
> <SAI.sa-intl.org #5.5.0 smtp;550-Verification failed for...
>
> And, when I go to DNSreport.com, we get:
>
> FAIL: MX is host name, not IP
> ERROR: You have one or more MX record(s) that contain an IP address. This
> is not valid. A fully RFC-compliant mailserver will not be able to send
you
> mail (although some mail servers will, due to the TCP/IP functions that
they
> use). The problem MX records are: 64.115.124.115.
>
> also I get:
>
> WARN: Multiple MX records
> WARNING: You only have 1 MX record. If your primary mail server is down or
> unreachable, there is a chance that mail may have troubles reaching you.
>
> But when I followed followed Register.com's advice, we stopped receiving
> emails. I don't want to mess around with it again without knowing exactly
> what to do.
>
> Many thanks in advance!!!
>
> Matthew

  • Re: exim HELO=fully qualified host name?
    ... > Basically correct. ... > You can test the system's idea of your host name either by running the ... (since one can't generally resolve the loopback address via DNS). ... suppose its less expensive than a DNS query, but specifying a hostname ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: domain name
    ... I never had a problem with the hostname. ... troubles when the host is a server on the 'Net with a static IP and ... Seems to me it should return "localhost" in that case, ... configuration internally consistent with a private configuration in ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: hostnames and interfaces
    ... Apache documentation on doing virtual hosts and maybe do some ... A fully Qualified Host Name consists of two main parts. ... During installation, when it asks for hostname, it wants a Fully ... service what DNS server will be providing DNS service for that domain. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: /bin/hostname
    ... Find a real news server. ... in /etc/hosts that maps the host and the FQDN to the static IP ... Linux distributions are supposed to follow Linux Standard Base standards, ... hostname -- show or set the system's host name ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: Renaming machine and /etc/hosts
    ... Note that "localhost" is as has been described, ... machine's actual hostname - so this machine can /only/ find itself as ... qualified hostname for the loopback IP numbers. ... Ethernet and send traffic to it from this host it will be looped too. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)