Re: reformat XP PC

From: Lanwench [MVP - Exchange] (lanwench_at_heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com)
Date: 08/30/04

Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 12:03:34 -0400

If you boot from the XP CD and choose Install, you can delete the existing
system partition, recreate it and use it to install. It will prompt you to
format - I'd use NTFS.

You've backed up your data first, right?

nic wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a dumb question but just want to make sure I'm not
> doing something wrong. We have an XP Pro machine that has
> some major issues. I am planning on just reformatting
> the drive and then reinstalling. When I boot to the XP
> CD, I don't see any option where I can reformat. I have a
> Win98 DOS boot disk that I could boot to and use the
> format utility (I also believe the Win2k boot disk has the
> format utility). I was suprised you couldn't do it with
> just the XP CD. Am I missing something?
>
> Thanks.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: XP HOME BOOT FAILURE
    ... Boot the system, start tapping F8, when the menu appears, select ... download install and run the application: ... A repair install should bypass that but it will ... >> on, follow the screens. ...
  • Re: Dual Boot; worried about overwriting C: Boot Drive with Win2k
    ... > replacement, I decided to install that as a slave drive, but I have not ... I also want to dual boot, ... DO NOT install the Linux boot loader on ...
    (alt.os.linux.redhat)
  • Re: boot sector f*ed
    ... "I updated the machine and it doesn't boot anymore". ... Please capture the output from running fdisk and bsdlabel on the problem disk ... Soft updates is a technique employed by the filesystem to ensure that the file ... application to install the 64bit FBSD with flashplugin on the portable ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Windows Xp crash
    ... The Bios is not showing any hard drives. ... Message came up "Disk Boot failure.: ... I tried about a week ago to install Windows 7 on the second hard ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: Windows Xp crash
    ... Message came up "Disk Boot failure.: ... indicated that all drives had no disk inserted. ... I tried about a week ago to install Windows 7 on the second hard ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)