Re: Access Always Asks for Authentication

From: Andrew Hatfield (AndrewHatfield_at_discussions.microsoft.com)
Date: 09/23/04

Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 21:55:04 -0700

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Been such a long time since I've used Access, I'd
forgotten about that.

However, when I try and run the System.mdw, it still prompts for a username
and password. Is there a default?

"'69 Camaro" wrote:

> Hi, Andrew.
>
> Neither of those KB articles will help your client, because the client is
> using user-level security (this requires a User ID and user password), not
> shared-level security (this requires only a database password).
>
> To prevent having to provide a user name and password every time Microsoft
> Access attempts to open a database or create a new one, the client will need
> to do one of the following:
>
> 1.) Use the Workgroup Administrator to join the default workgroup (the
> default location for this file depends upon the operating system, but you
> may find it in: C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\System.MDW), or
>
> 2.) Join some other workgroup that does not have a password assigned to the
> Admin user, or
>
> 3.) Remove the password from the Admin user for his current workgroup.
>
> To find out more about Access security, you can read the Security FAQ on
> this Web page:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=/support/access/content/secfaq.asp
>
> HTH.
>
> Gunny
>
> See http://www.QBuilt.com for all your database needs.
> See http://www.Access.QBuilt.com for Microsoft Access tips.
>
> (Please remove ZERO_SPAM from my reply E-mail address, so that a message
> will be forwarded to me.)
>

> "Andrew Hatfield" <AndrewHatfield@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:B9A4CB4F-4BA4-4A1F-9EFE-171C8AF0A57C@microsoft.com...
> > BTW : This occurs as either a non privilaged AD user or administrator
> >
> > "Andrew Hatfield" wrote:
> >
> > > I have a client that has been using Microsoft Access 2000.
> > >
> > > Now when they open a database or try and create a new one, it prompts
> for a
> > > username and password.
> > >
> > > I have read KB #321905 and #243895 and while #321905 may be the cause,
> it
> > > doesn't give me a resolution.
> > >
> > > If I try and goto to Tools | Security | User and Group Accounts it
> prompts
> > > me for the same settings.
> > >
> > > This is running on a Windows 2000 Server in TS application mode. (2000
> > > Build 2195 Service Pack 4
> > >
> > > Access version is 2000 (9.0.3821 SR-1)

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Multiple User Security
    ... set up a workgroup security file. ... Remove the Admin user from the Admins group, ... Don't set permissions on individual users, ...
    (microsoft.public.access.security)
  • Re: Event ID 577 & Failed Install of Microsoft Firewall Client
    ... NT Local Security Authority / Authentication Service ... Primary Domain: <domain or workgroup name> ... Client Domain: ... privilege to perform a privileged system service. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Event ID 577 & Failed Install of Microsoft Firewall Client
    ... NT Local Security Authority / Authentication Service ... Primary Domain: <domain or workgroup name> ... Client Domain: ... privilege to perform a privileged system service. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • Re: Access Always Asks for Authentication
    ... Neither of those KB articles will help your client, ... shared-level security. ... Access attempts to open a database or create a new one, ... Use the Workgroup Administrator to join the default workgroup (the ...
    (microsoft.public.access.security)
  • Re: under my workgroup
    ... If not using your workgroup allows users to bypass your security, ... Reread the Access Security ... remove the Admin user from the Admins group. ...
    (microsoft.public.access.security)