Query for Left(String,5) - Access 2007

I found this response in a post regarding a query I'm trying to do. It looks
like it's what I need but I don't know how/were to implement it in the query.

what I found
Hi,
do you have these zip codes stored already? Then just use this in your
criteria:

Left ([YourField], 3)

If not than create a zip code table and include the zipcode field in the
query. Then set the criteria similar.
HTH
Good luck

I have a table(excel file) of 5 digit zipcodes.
I'm linking it to a name-address table that has a 9 digit zip.
I only find records with the exact 5 digit match - not the many that have +4

How/where do I add the left(yourfiled,5) above.
I've always done this by adding a like function in the zip filed for all the
zips I need but the above method would be much clearner and easier - assuming
I can learn how to do it.

Thanks
John

  • RE: Query for Left(String,5) - Access 2007
    ... it is criteria in a Where clause. ... The way I've set this query up is: ... I'm linking the zip5 excel file to the nameaddress table via the zip to zip ... I have a tableof 5 digit zipcodes. ...
    (microsoft.public.access.queries)
  • Re: Microsoft Query
    ... In MS Query, go to the Criteria menu and select Add criteria. ... We have 9 digit sales part numbers. ... > column in Microsoft Query, but was unable to make a mid function work. ...
    (microsoft.public.excel.misc)
  • Re: Editing Access Data
    ... > second query to an update query, and update both your phone field and your ... > last name, etc.), so why not combine that exercise with the "moving phone ... >> actual name is sometimes, also appended with a ten digit phone ...
    (microsoft.public.access.queries)
  • Re: Insert a LIST into each line of 2nd file - WILL PAY $$$!
    ... the query edit window called "criteria". ... Being that one file has one field which is a 4 digit number ... I know I have more than sufficient disc space. ... I can avoid this part by simply removing records after the fact but ...
    (comp.databases.ms-access)
  • Re: Need Help with Criteria Expression
    ... query that will do this and save this query. ... setting a validation rule that's commensurate with the way data would ...  If I actually enter a space, that is the same as entering a digit so it ... This input mask will allow for 1 digit months, 2 digit days, and 2 digit ...
    (microsoft.public.access.queries)