Re: Can a query return a result greater than 255 characters?

From: Rick Brandt (rickbrandt2_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 01/06/05

Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 08:04:33 -0600

shanem wrote:
> I want to run a query on a table in which I have memo fields, thus
> they contain greater than 255 characters, and output all the values
> in the field, not just the first 255 characters. How can I achieve
> this

No DISTINCT, No Group By, and no formatting on the memo field.

This is another "mis-feature" IMO. Older versions of Access simply gave you
an error if you attempted any of these things with a Memo Field. This error
could be worked around (in many cases) by using Left([MemoField], 255) to
only grab the first 255 characters of the Memo field. In the newer versions
they simply do this automatically (and silently) which is fine if you know
about it, but most new users don't so all it does is generate tons of
questions about it.

--
I don't check the Email account attached
to this message.     Send instead to...

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Change special characters
    ... The Carriage Return/Line Feed is actually two characters in the memo field: ... Create a query that replaces these characters with a space, ...
    (microsoft.public.access.queries)
  • Re: Query Returns First 255 Characters of Memo Field
    ... The core if the issue is that Access returns only the first 255 characters ... That applies if you Group By a memo field (totals query), ... Remove anything from the Format property of the field in your table (or ...
    (microsoft.public.access.queries)
  • Re: TransferSpreadsheet still truncates the memo field
    ... 2010 Microsoft MVP (Access) ... I am trying to export a query result as a comma delimited text file on ... When I use the export wizard, it trims the memo field down to 256 ... fields are still exported up to 256 characters. ...
    (microsoft.public.access.externaldata)
  • Re: Entire text doesnt show
    ... Access shows only the first 255 characters if it is forced to compare the ... memo field between records, or to group on the field. ... If your query contains a GROUP BY, change the "Group By" in the Total row ... taken that information and madea report. ...
    (microsoft.public.access.reports)
  • Re: Truncated memo field in query & mail merge output
    ... If the memo field is greater than 255 characters, a query based on the sql ... daughter should now be wearing bermuda shorts and flip flops to school. ... Distinct or DistinctRow will all truncate a memo field to 255 characters so ...
    (microsoft.public.access.formscoding)