Re: What does "overflow" message mean in Microsoft Access??

From: Allen Browne (AllenBrowne_at_SeeSig.Invalid)
Date: 09/30/04

Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 20:02:47 +0800

An "overflow" occurs when a field is not big enough to accept the data.

When you perform an import, Access looks at the first few rows of each
column, and tries to determine whether it is Text, Date, Number, etc. If
later columns prove to have wildly different values, its original decision
about the type and size required may prove inadequate - particularly for
Number fields.

There are several workarounds, depending on where the data is coming from.
If you are importing a Text file, you can click the Advanced button once you
are in the Import Wizard, and you can define the data types of the fields
you want to use. You can then save this Import Specification, and tell
Access to use it again next time you perform a TransferText.

If you are importing from Excel, see:
    "Numeric Field Overflow" error message occurs when you query a table
that is linked to Excel spreadsheet
at:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;815277&Product=acc
or
    Import, export, and link data between Access and Excel
at:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-au/assistance/HP010950951033.aspx?Product=acc

The overflow is very easy to demonstrate:
1. Open the Immediate window by pressing Ctrl+G.

2. Enter:
        ? 200 * 200

You receive an overflow, because Access treats these numbers as type
Integer. When you multiply them, the result is bigger than 32767 (the
largest integer), and so the integer type overflows. You can avoid this
problem by forcing Access to treat at least one of the numbers as a Long
Integer:
        ? CLng(200) * 200

--
Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP.  Perth, Western Australia.
"Office User" <Office User@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I continuously get an overflow message in access when i am trying to
>download
> a report in my database.  Does this mean that the database has too much
> information in it?  What can be down to fix this problem?

Relevant Pages

  • RE: Numeric Overflow Error
    ... Exporting to Excel May Cause "Numeric Field Overflow" Error ... Microsoft Access project. ...
    (microsoft.public.excel)
  • RE: Overflow from Calculation - How do I do Calculation?
    ... why it would be kicking back with the Overflow message. ... Could it be because the Paid LDF has too many trailing numbers after the ... I don't have any data to try it in a query, but it did work in the VBE ... It works great in Excel, ...
    (microsoft.public.access.queries)
  • Re: overflow problem and variable declaration
    ... I am using Excel 2003 if this might help and it causes me the error even ... The calculation that excel has to perform is * ... In the watch window, I see a value of -9E+15, with a Type of Variant/Double. ... what is giving me the overflow. ...
    (microsoft.public.excel.programming)
  • Re: Mail merge working erratically
    ... >overflow. ... If my data in excel is 0.06, the same in word is reflected ... Check your spreadsheet cells for percentage formatting - try changing ... it to number; and check your options - unselect ...
    (microsoft.public.excel)
  • overflow error
    ... I have an Access 97 database I am trying to export it ... into an excel 2003 spreadsheet but I get an overflow ...
    (microsoft.public.access.externaldata)