Re: Put database on Internet

From: Sylvain Lafontaine ("Sylvain)
Date: 12/22/04

    Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 13:14:54 -0500

    I forgot to say that your best option might be to simply use a VPN and
    Terminal Services. The relevant administrator/technician at your college
    should be able to tell you is you can use this option.

    S. L.

    "Sylvain Lafontaine" <sylvain aei ca (fill the blanks, no spam please)>
    wrote in message news:%23do4iBF6EHA.1204@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    > If you are going to use a public IP address, then your best bet will be to
    > forget about ASP and use MSDE or SQL-Server as the backend, with either an
    > Access MDB file using linked tables as the front end or an Access ADP
    > project. You must make sure that the port 1433 is not blocked by
    > firewall. You can find examples of connection string at the two following
    > web sites: http://www.able-consulting.com/ADO_Conn.htm and
    > http://www.connectionstrings.com/ .
    >
    > Once you will be able to connect to MSDE or to SQL-Server, you shouldn't
    > have any real problem. However, this is a setup that you must resolve by
    > yourself. A good book on MSDE or SQL-Server will not hurt here. Make
    > sure that the authorization mode is set to Mixed (Window and SQL-Server
    > login) and not to Window only because you home machine is not part of your
    > college domain.
    >
    > Using an Access MDB file with linked tables is the easiest way and can be
    > done very quickly. There is an Upsizing wizard (upsizing means to move
    > the data tables from Access to SQL-Server) that will do this for you. All
    > you will have to do after will be to add the parameter dbSeeChanges for
    > some .Execute and OpenRowSet commands is you are using DAO instead of ADO.
    > For example:
    >
    > Dim db As DAO.Database
    > Set db = CurrentDb
    >
    > Dim rs As DAO.Recordset
    > Set rs = db.OpenRecordset("dbo_tblCustomer", dbOpenDynaset,
    > dbSeeChanges)
    >
    > Each time that you will forget to set this parameter, Access will tell
    > you; so it will be pretty easy to find all the relevant places.
    >
    > The only problem you may have is a performance problem when joining linked
    > tables; as this involve a lot of network communication. However, a subtle
    > use of views here and there can alleviate most of these problems. Here an
    > article about setting a view into an updatable view under Access:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q209123/
    >
    > With some testings; you shouldn't have any problem.
    >
    > You can also use ADP but it's a more difficult topic and nothing forbid
    > you to try it as a second phase to your project; i.e. you can use both MDB
    > and ADP in the same time as frontends to your database.
    >
    > S. L.
    >
    > "John Barnes" <JohnBarnes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> Sylvain,
    >>
    >> Thanks for your responses so far. I'm still confused about how to
    >> proceed.
    >> A bit of background:
    >> I have a small department (3 employees) who will work from several sites
    >> in
    >> Northeast Ohio. Each user has broadband connnection. We will never
    >> expand
    >> beyond this amount in the forseable future. Rarely will users be
    >> accessing
    >> the database at the same time due to our schedules. Users each need to
    >> enter
> [...]

    • Re: msde2000
      ... Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Desktop Engine (MSDE 2000) is the free, ... As for it being better than MS-Access, the answer to that is probable yes, ... MOST other database DO NOT. ...
      (microsoft.public.vc.mfc)
    • Re: Connecting to SQL Server Express 2005
      ... understanding of SQL-Server and has nothing to do directly with DNN. ... Backup/Restore to migrate a database between two place but will use instead ... Sylvain Lafontaine, ing. ... I downloaded SQL Server Express 2005 and the SQL ...
      (microsoft.public.sqlserver.connect)
    • Re: Database Connectivity
      ... But, MSDE has been know to work very reliably in small user LANS, ... > just a simple step to attach the tables from MSDE to SQL Server. ... database, or pay for an "industrial-strength" version of it when there ... Don't like Microsoft?, sounds like a personal problem to me. ...
      (comp.lang.python)
    • Re: Theres a new Borland Delphi directions survey up
      ... Choosing and Using MSDE 2000 as the Database Engine for Your Application ... The Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Desktop Engine is an alternative ... database engine in Microsoft Access 2002 which enables software developers ...
      (borland.public.delphi.non-technical)
    • Re: Using Access 2007 to connect to SQL
      ... MDB database file format, ODBC linked tables, passthrough queries ... probably the easiest way of retrieving data from a SQL-Server ... I'm a total newbie w MS SQL Server. ...
      (microsoft.public.access.adp.sqlserver)